Chapter Twenty Four: Turn Me To Ash

I watch in shock as Heizou collapses to the ground, a sharp blade sticking out from his chest.

I whip my head around to face the one responsible for Heizou's injury.

"WHAT THE FUCK? YOU TOLD ME THAT NO ONE WOULD GET HURT!" I shout.

He smirks.

"Oh, but I changed my mind. I'm allowed to do that." He says.

I grit my teeth and take a few breaths, trying desperately to calm myself down.

"What do you really want? From this. From us." I ask.

He laughs.

"Isn't it obvious? That boy said it himself. You actively chose to continue to be involved in this problem when you could have backed out. So then, why do you get so upset from getting tangled up in a matter of governmental affairs? This was between the Shogun and I. It had nothing to do with you." He says.

"What?" I ask.

"After all, I'm quite surprised anyone bothered to seek me out, let alone for this long. Thousands of people have tried to assassinate the Shogun and her family over the years. So why was there such a big rise in chaos once someone actually succeeded?" He asks.

"Don't ask me. I'm just here to protect my friend!" I say.

"Well, you failed quite spectacularly with that, considering he's close to bleeding out and you're not any closer to leaving this place alive than he is." He says with fake sweetness in his voice.

"Who even are you?" I ask angrily.

"If you must know, I am happy to divulge my true identity. I am a Fatui Harbinger. Call me....The Doctor." He says.

"The....Fatui? What's that? What do you want?" I ask.

Isn't the 'Fatui' a Snezhnayan organization? What are they doing here in Inazuma?

"I merely wanted to cause a bit of chaos inside your already flame-ridden nation. What do you think will happen when neither Shikanoin Heizou nor Kaedehara Kazuha ever return from this place?" The Doctor asks.

"Nothing really. The Shogun's empire had already fallen before you murdered Kunikuzushi and his family. Whatever murder you did after that fact was purely desire driven." I say.

"Oh? If you think you're so smart, why haven't you caught on to my plan yet? Had I really hidden it so well? Although, I guess if no one knew what I'd done for four years, eleven months, four weeks, eight days, sixteen hours, thirteen minutes, fifty five seconds, and one hundred forty four milliseconds, then it makes more sense." The Doctor says.

"What is your plan?" I ask.

If he leaves me hanging, I swear-

The Doctor narrows his eyes.

"If Shikanoin doesn't return with the answer to the case he was given, it will be closed. Four years ago, Sango Bantan said that she would stop at nothing to bring me to justice. How do you think the trust between police officers and normal citizens will fare after they realize that the lead detective failed? It's a waiting game, sure, but it's a worthwhile one nonetheless." The Doctor says.

Ugh, he's right.

That means I have to get either Heizou or myself out alive.

I raise my head and catch the Doctor's eyes again.

"Aren't you old? How long do you have to wait?" I ask.

An irk mark appears on the Doctor's head.