Chapter Twelve: Fake Family

As Scaramouche and I walk through what Heizou accurately described as a fucking maze of a building, we begin to talk.

"So uh...I assume you didn't want to have to awkwardly explain to Heizou that you aren't Kazuha?" I ask.

Scaramouche shakes his head.

"The thing is...I think he specifically wanted us to split up, and I think he specifically wanted himself paired with Ayaka for some reason...but why?" He asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Why would he agree to let both of us who are technically dead be paired together? Wouldn't it have been better for me to go with Ayaka and you with him? They can both die, we can't. We could protect them." Scaramouche says.

I think for a moment.

"I'm sure he has his reasons." I say.

"But we're not sure whether they're good reasons...." Scaramouche says.

I stop in my tracks and turn to stare at him.

"Are you siding with Ayaka's initial accusation?" I ask in disbelief.

"All I'm saying is that you don't truly know Heizou Shikanoin, especially since you've only known him a grand total of two weeks." Scaramouche says.

My chest turns hot as I feel my anger rising.

"I really don't know you all that well either, you know. You were always mother's precious puppet. For all I know, you could still be working for her." I say bitterly.

Scaramouche's eyes widen.

"It wasn't my fault that I was left behind, you know." He spits.

"Now that I think about it, you said you would provide context for everything you know...what happened to that?" I ask.

"What happened was that the person you call your lover got kidnapped." Scaramouche says, his eyes darkening.

"Personally, I think that's a good cover. You know what, for all I know, you could have been the one who murdered me!" I say, coming to a realization.

"You son of a bitch, if I wanted you gone I'd have burned your science textbook years ago." Scaramouche says, venom dripping with every word.

I raise my head in defiance.

"You know what? I don't need you. I'm going to go find Heizou and Ayaka and effectively protect them, like you were supposed to do." I say.

I turn and run down the hallways.

As I run down corridor after corridor, tears begin to stream down my face as my usual feelings of loneliness sets back in my chest.

Why couldn't Ei or Makoto be here right now?

They always knew what to do in situations like these.

I run down a sharp turn and stumble into a wall.

I fall to my knees, completely out of breath.

I begin to cry harder and pull my knees up to my chest.

I don't understand any of this.

I hate my damn life and I hate my death too.

And I especially hate my mother.

"But that could be fixed..." A familiar voice says coolly from in front of me.

My blood turns to ice as I recognize the voice of none other than Raiden Shogun.