Secrets

A/N: I know the timeline is wonky on this season 9 stuff, just bare with me. I'm going to clear a few things up just in case.
So on Criminal Minds Emily isn't in season 9 because she's working for Interpol, instead Alex is there.
For the purposes of my story, Emily isn't working for Interpol so they don't have to call her in from Paris. This means that Alex isn't on the team. If I use lines that she says from the show, I will have either Emily or Y/N say them.
Hope that makes sense!

..........

JJ's POV:

Y/N stays silent the entire ride home. I'm afraid she might've heard the end of mine and Matt's conversation and got the wrong idea.  The sad thing is, I don't know how to explain. What am I going to do?

When we get back to the apartment, I follow Y/N into our bedroom. She opens the safe quickly, putting her gun and badge in. I do the same then decide it's time to talk to her.

"Hey Y/N/N, we should..." I'm interrupted by the sound of the bathroom door slamming shut.

I walk over to the door and cup my hands to listen in. I can hear her soft cries and my heart shatters.

"Baby please open the door. It's not what you think, just let me explain." I say desperately, even though I have no idea what I will say if she does open that door.

A few minutes pass and she still hasn't opened it. I slide my back down the door and sit right against it. I don't care how long it takes, I will sit here until she lets me in.

After an hour of hating myself for making her upset, the door creaks open behind me. I quickly get to my feet, reaching in to hug her. It's a habit when she's crying like that. She backs away from me, shattering my heart once again.

"Go on, explain." She says while crossing her arms over her chest, like a shield of armor. Tears stain her beautiful cheeks, and I want nothing more than to hold her.

"I- I'm not sure what you heard, but it's not what you think." I sigh quickly before continuing. "Yes I know Ma.. Agent Cruz but not because I'm cheating on you."

"What is it then? Why all the secrets, and the tension? When he first came in you looked like you had seen a ghost." She's yelling, she never yells. Ever.

"I just wasn't expecting it, it's nothing. Nothing is going on."

"You're lying to me. I've grown up with enough liars Jennifer." She has never called me that, and it hurts so much.

"If you aren't cheating then what is it?"

What do I say? She knows when I'm lying, and I can't tell her.

"I want to explain. I really do, -but I can't."

"What do you mean, you can't?"

"I can't tell you. I wish I could, but I can't." I'm almost in tears, I don't know what else I can do.

She doesn't say anything else instead she grabs her go bag, opens the safe, and grabs her gun and badge back. She storms out of the room and I follow her.

"Y/N, please don't do this." I beg, tears falling down my face.

She ignores me and grabs her keys off the kitchen counter.

"At least tell me where you're going. I won't follow you, I just have to know you're safe." I give in, knowing that I can't change her mind.

"Emily's." That's all she says before opening the front door and leaving our apartment.

When the door shuts, I finally break down. I fall into the floor, crying hysterically.

You know I've seen a lot as a profiler, you think I'd be stronger than this.