Nursery Rhymes

Y/N's POV

After landing we all climb into our respective SUVs to head to our assignments.

The first family JJ and I are interviewing were too distraught to come to the precinct so we are on our way to their house. Since the girls were abducted from their homes at night it could also help us with perspective. I let JJ drive because my nerves have overcome my hands.

My phone dings in my back pocket. It's from Emily.

Em - hey are you ok? you seemed upset on the jet.

Y/N - All good, just a hard case.

Em - I'm here if you need to talk ok.

Y/N - Absolutely thanks em.

Em - no problem :)

It kills me to hide anything from Emily, but this .. I just can't.

We arrive at the Vincent's and I'm so ready to get this over with.

JJ knocks on the door and Mr.Vincent answers.

"Hi, I'm agent Jennifer Jareau and this is agent Y/F/N Y/L/N we're with the FBI. We were hoping to speak to you about your daughter Riley."

"Yes of course come in." Mr.Vincent ushers us into their living room.

"Honey the FBI is here."

We walk into the living room to find Mrs.Vincent clutching a picture of Riley while tears stream down her face. Her 4 year old daughter sitting beside her playing with her baby doll.

JJ and I sit across from them ready to bother this poor mother. I hate this.

"Mrs.Vincent I'm so sorry for your loss. Could you tell us about Riley?" JJ asks her gently.

"Yes of course. Jim honey will you take Charlotte to her room and sit with her. I just don't want her to listen to this."

Mrs.Vincent turns back to us. "I haven't told her yet. I just don't know what to say." Tears start streaming down her face again.

"You know what, why don't I take Charlotte in there so your husband can be with you." I hardly want to listen to this anyway. I typically like talking to the families, it helps me get a sense of the case so we can bring them closure. But right now I just can't do it.

"Oh thank you."

"Of course." I turn my attention to the sweet little girl.

"Hi Charlotte I'm Y/N. What a gorgeous baby you have there. What's her name?"

" wiley wike my sissy." She smiles. Maybe this will be harder than I anticipated.

"Would you like to show me your room Charlotte?"

"  yes this way."

I leave JJ to talk to the parents while I follow this sweet little girl into her room. She has no idea what's happening, I just wish I could shield all these little babies from stuff like this.

JJ's POV:

After finishing up with the parents I go to get Y/N from Charlotte's room.

I find her holding the little girl in her arms. Charlotte is fast asleep, and Y/N is singing to her. Wow she's so beautiful and that voice. I didn't know she could sing.

I lean on the doorframe trying not to disturb them. I know we need to go but I just wanted to watch her a little longer.

I've liked Y/N ever since I first laid eyes on her but there is no way she would ever like me back. She's never mentioned relationships much before but I'm sure she's straight.

"Y/N/N." I whisper to ensure Charlotte stayed asleep.

She immediately stops singing and turns around to look at me. She blushes and seems a bit embarrassed. The blush is just embarrassment right. RIGHT?

Y/N's POV:

I turn around to find JJ leaning on the doorframe. How long had she been standing there. I can't believe she just heard me sing.

"Oh hey sorry, I'll just lay her down and we can go."

"Okay, I'll be in the car." She gives me a sweet smile and then walks down the hall.

I lay Charlotte into her bed and make my way to the SUV. I climb in and shut the door. JJ pulls out and starts to drive back to the precinct.

She turns and smirks at me. "I didn't know you could sing."

"Oh uh that, that was nothing. She was sleepy and said that her mom sung to her a lot."

"That wasn't nothing, girl you have a voice."

I turn my head to hide the massive blush that is taking over my face.

"You're going to have to sing for me sometime. You know something other than a nursery rhyme."

"Mhmm, sure I will."

"This is not negotiable." She glanced at me and I swear those eyes could take me out.

"Maybe one day."

"I'll hold you to that."

Thankfully we arrived back to the precinct before I could spill my undying love for her. Because if she kept smiling at me like that, I would've told her anything and everything.

...........

A/N: chapters will get longer once I get to the good stuff but I have to let them tease each other for at least a little while;) Stay safe!