A Matter of This Life or the Next

"Both ladies are fine, Uchiha-sama and Uzumaki-sama.  Both babies were shooked but both are also doing well and healthy."

"Thank you, Doctor." Naruto then looked at his friend with worried eyes. 

Kakashi and the others brought the enemy down and squeezed out information that they were not the only ones seeking out a vendetta against the Uchiha and the so-called peace Naruto created. Before he died, the enemy said that the only way to keep their loved ones safe is if they were no longer in the village.

"Sasuke... Are you planning on leaving?"

"I don't know."

"I- I don't think I-"

"Naruto. . .  If ever I do leave, please watch Sakura for me."

"I'm sure we can find a way. I don't think I can leave Hinata here."

"No. I'll be going alone. More people hate me than you."

"Hey. Come on now, you know that's not true."

"Besides, you won't do well outside. The people, the village. . . They need you here."

". . . "

"Uchiha-sama, Uzumaki-sama, both Sakura-sama and Hinata-sama gained consciousness and are asking for you."

They entered the room and saw their wives on their respective beds, staring at them as they entered. Naruto rushed into Hinata's open arms waiting for his embrace. They exchanged apologies and were thankful none of them were harmed during the incident.

Sakura and Sasuke just stared at each other. Sasuke, still standing near the door, eyes locked with Sakura's. 

"We should..umm... Give them some privacy." Naruto said and stretched the curtain located between the beds that separate Hinata's from Sakura's. Naruto did this but his ears curiously listened through the curtain which gained him a playful slap from his wife who let out a little giggle at her husband's mischievousness.

Meanwhile, the other couple is having an intense staredown. Neither of them is willing to give up. 

"Sakura."

"No."

"You don't even know-"

"You're leaving again aren't you?"

". . ."

"It's for the goo-"

"No. It is not!"

"Sakura, calm down."

" You're expecting me to calm down when you're planning on leaving me again?"

"I was going to talk to you about this and discuss our options."

"There won't be any options because you're not leaving."

"If it's to protect you and the village, I would do it."

"I decide."

". . ."

"I decide this time."

"Sakura. . ."

"Then choose, Sasuke."

"What?"

"I will not be having this baby alone, Sasuke. It's gonna be us against all you believe in. I have loved you all my life, you know that. I have sacrificed almost everything for you, the least you could do is respect them by not leaving me while I'm heavily pregnant with your child!"

Sakura isn't always this shallow but it feels like the last straw for her that she has to pull for him not leaving her while heavily pregnant. She knows it's a bullshit reason for him or Naruto to leave the village in order to protect it. She knows Naruto was thinking the same thing as his friend.

"You too, Naruto. Don't you dare volunteer and leave poor Hinata here as well." 

Sasuke gritted his teeth and kept his mouth tightly shut. He can do nothing when it comes to his short-tempered but perfectly reasonable wife.

"You go and protect this village but do it here with your friends .. with the baby.. with me." 

He sighed loudly.... defeated.

"I'll stay."