Chapter 5: Boomerang

Start from the beginning

"To your barely thick thighs, little green hands and feet. Oh and I wouldn't say your eyes are brown they are more of a dark burgundy. Also your hair is a violet hue."

"You don't see the colors I see. I guess.. if you are a different being from me we wouldn't see anything in the same color spectrum..."

"Pulling back already?" He furrows his brow and his sharp fangs toy with his lower lip.

"Not even close. This just makes things more fun and interesting. So when are you going to find me?" Then I wake from my dream with sun rays pouring through my bedroom window. I turn in the bed and blindly pat my nightstand to get my phone. I look at the time. Darn! I'm running late for work.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

When I walk into the shop, Sam is standing behind the cash register with bags under his eyes and his skin looking paler than usual. "Look who decided to show up. Honestly, I thought something happened to you... Call the shop and let us know you're going to be late." He says. I look into his eyes. Red irritated veins are forked across the whites of his eyes.

I want to say something snarky like : You're not my parent or my boss. We are just co-workers. I didn't plan on not coming in this morning my alarm did not go off for some reason. I could have sworn I set that stupid thing last night but who wants to hear my excuses.

People only care about results. "Why do you look so sad? Did something happen?" I ask him.

"Tom is in the hospital. They found a clot on his lung. I blame Baran... When that guy shows up someone falls ill in this shop. I spent all last night worrying at Tom's hospital bed."

"Where is Ms. Dean?"

"She is with you know who looking for whatever." I gently rub his shoulder and worry paints my face.

"Maybe you should take a nap in Ms. Dean's office until she returns. I'll cover the counter. Besides, it's the least I can do for you. You did come in to cover for my tardiness."

"I may be feeling glum but don't think I don't know what you're up to. Ms. Dean opened the shop this morning and she called me in to cover your shift. Don't think that I changed your clock-in time on the computer. Now if you're doing this to make me feel better... It's working. I'm going to take that nap. Don't screw nothing up and let me know when Ms. Dean and you know who comes back." I nod.

"Sure. I will."

He goes to the office and I clock-in. I guess I should finish counting the items for the item logs I was working on yesterday. I look at my reflection on the glass shelf of the counter. I adjust my buns and push in some of the flyaway curls that are poking out. I did not have enough time to put enough lotion in my hair so the curls would not be poking out like this. I sigh. Whatever.

"Ding!" "Ding!" The bells at the front door chime. That is a new installment. Ms. Dean must have put those in this morning. "Welcome, how may I help you today?" I say and look up from my reflection and a guy that could easily be six foot and four inches with chestnut wavy hair brushed up like Johnny Bravo or Elvis is standing in the doorway. His black hooded cloak floats above the floor. He squints and assesses the shop.

"I'm looking for Ms. Dean. I was told she has a task for me." He says. I smirk.

"What sort of task would she have for you?" I blink and he appears directly before the counter. His irises shift from burgundy back to brown. This guy may be dangerous.

"Who are you?" I ask. He gently cups my chin with the edge of the knuckles of his silver gauntlet. He chuckles.

"Twilight. You know why they call me that?" My hands are sweating.

"I-I don't know. You tell me." I nervously hold my hands over my stomach.

"It's because I travel through space and time through dreams. If you dream it. I can reach it."

"Oh?"

"I visited your house last night. Ms. Dean wanted me to check on you. Don't worry I won't tell her about it, but I'll tell you something... Whatever heart piece you took from that galactic warlord you better return it. Or the last thing you'll have to worry about is Ms. Dean finding out about it." I laugh nervously and wipe the palms of my hands on my black pants.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I move my chin away from him.

"So, you're a mage with similar abilities to mine. You shouldn't be in this shop. You should be taught by the masters of our craft." I turn towards him and narrow my eyes.

"What if I don't want to learn the way you all would like to teach? What if I don't want to do missions that I don't care about? What if I don't want to use my powers for the benefit of others?"

"Our magic is not chaos magic."

"Isn't all magic chaos in different forms anyway? All you're doing is learning to control it and bend it in different ways. It's still a wild energy that you can't ever really master, right? So what are a couple of boring squares like you going to teach me about my power that I can't find out for myself?" I cross my arms.

"The magic you and I wield is rare and shouldn't be used foolishly. You will learn the basics of how to control your power even if I have to force you. I will become your teacher myself if I must. That warlord you're flirting around with can destroy our whole dimension. You heard what he said he did to the galaxies and universes around his home world. How would our sister galaxies and universes fare? This is bigger than your emotions!" He says through gritted teeth.

Sam comes out of the office. "What's going on? I heard yelling." Sam says as he holds his forehead and tucks his free hand under his arm. Twilight is gone.

"It was nothing. I must have pressed the wrong button on the computer or something. Go back and continue resting. I'll be less noisy next time." I laugh nervously. I bet Twilight disabled my phone's alarm. I knew I set that thing.