"oh, ok. yeah of course." matt says, it hitting him how serious this actually is.

max let's out a long sigh, looking down at his feet anxiously.

"did you have a friend as kid that you did everything with? you went everywhere with. he also got on really well with your brothers?"

matt looks at him like he's crazy.

"max are you on drugs- what the fuck is that question-"

"just think!" max exerts eagerly. matt looks at him genuinely concerned that something is wrong  with him but because max is his friend, he starts to think.

he wracks through his mind to find a memory of a boy. a boy that he was apparently really good friends with. he remembers having lots of friends as a kid, so it could be any of them.

he still has no idea why max would want to know.

he thinks back to all these significant times in his childhood, seeing if there's any kids in them that stood out to him.

until he remembers one memory that he hadn't remembered in a very long time,

9 years ago

"MATT!"

the boy heard his name being called. he went to turn around and see who it was but could hardly get there before he was tackled to the ground in a huge hug.

"what are you doing?!" matt giggles out as the boy hugs him around his neck.

"i'm here to play." he smiles.

"i thought you said you weren't allowed to anymore." matt says, his smile dropping a little.

"my parents are out at work or something. my grandparents are watching me." he smiles.

"well, what do you wanna play?" matt asks the other boy.

he thinks for a moment before his face lights up.

"where's nick and chris?" he asks.

"they're inside helping mum with lunch. why?" matt asks confused.

"we should play gang up tiggy."

(i'm not sure if tiggy is a world wide term or just and aussie one, but it's the game where one person is 'it' and they have to chase everyone and tag them, and then that persons it. hang up tiggy is where when they tag someone, they both become it and tag everyone auntie everyone is it but 1 person.)

"YES!" matt instantly starts to run up the little pebbled walk way that leads to his front door. he barges in, the other boy right behind him and runs into the kitchen.

nick, chris and their mum are all in the kitchen making egg and salad sandwiches.

"mum. ca- can nick and- chris come out to play with us?" matt says panting.