Chapter 5

Beep. Beep. Beeeeeep. I shut my 6 a.m. alarm off, groaning as I sat up in bed. I tossed and turned all night, every time I closed my eyes I see them. The malice in their eyes, in their touch as I was held down and beaten. I could feel each puncture wound as if they were reopened. I gasp and clutch the sheets beneath me, panic clawing in my chest.

"You're safe. You're safe." I gasped, but the weight on my chest is almost unbearable. "One...two...three.." I force myself to take a breath in between numbers. "Four....five....six..." I close my eyes and release a shaky breath as the room stills and my breathing normalizes.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Ben's voice sounds from the doorway. I jumped and glance over at him leaning on the doorframe, coffee in hand. A tight lip smile forms on my lips and I nod. I have to be ready. "Yeah... Last night was just a rough one. Tell me that's for me?" I clasp my hands together and pout.

"And have you bite my head off the whole ride to campus?" He smirks and steps into my room, arm extended. "Best uncle award goes to me." I smile and take the piping hot caffeinated nectar and hum as I take a sip. "Get a move on if you want Delilah to make you something for breakfast." He plants a kiss on my forehead and ruffles my hair with a small smile. "It's growing back pretty fast."

I'd been using hair products specifically for growth and taking hair vitamins and my hair grows quickly naturally. "I'll be wearing a wig anyway." I shrug and place my cup on my bedside table with a sigh, "I'll see you downstairs." He nods and heads out the door. Stepping in front of my ceiling high windows, I open the curtains and it may still be dark out right now, but I love having natural lighting in my room.

Turning on some music, I stepped into my bathroom and turn on the shower while I brush my teeth. Once the water's heat up, I step inside, the hot water falling from the three shower heads and warming my body. I don't bother washing my hair, but I do shave my legs awkwardly with my stitches still on place and by the time I'm finished, my breathing is labored and I'm leaning on the glass.

Grabbing one of my towels from the warm shower rack, I climb out, dry my body and moisturize, swapping my towel for my silk black robe hung on the door. I hum as I finish off my coffee and slip on my uniform, accessorizing with a matching pearl earrings and necklace set my mom bought me for Christmas last year. Tears well up in my eyes as my fingers touch the pearls. "I miss you so much, Mom."

I managed to get my shoes on without completely breaking down. Once I'm dressed, I pop my blue contacts in, grateful my eyes stopped watering enough to ease the process. I put some tinted moisturizer on my face, do my brows, slap on some mascara, a bit of bronzer and blush for my pale skin. I finish with a bit of highlight and a rosy lip stain.

My phone rings just as I'm about to put my wig cap on and I chuckle as Sophie's face appears on the screen. I answer the facetime call shaking my head, "You're so late, Sophie Davenport." I tsk as I apply glue to my cap. I normally go glue less, but at the risk of having my hair pulled or whatever, I'd rather have it glued down.

"I wanted to see how you were holding up." Sophie says, her breath short from running around getting dressed. "Aww you look so cute." She grins as she buttons her shirt and rolls her sleeves up to her elbows. I roll my eyes as I set the dryer on low to I blow dry the glue to the cap. "Are you nervous?" Sophie asks as she throws on her boots over her knee high socks.

"Considering everyone at that school kisses the Thorns asses?" I huff and slip my wig on, adjusting it to fit naturally. "I have to be all sweet and shy to lure them in, Soph." Her brows furrow as she frowns, "well yeah, but are you like mentally prepared for all of that?"

My hands pause on my head as I stare blankly at her and she arches a sculpted brow at me. Am I though? "I...I don't have the luxury of giving a damn about the Core, Soph." I mumbled and style my wig into a half up half down top knot, grateful for the curtain bangs in the front as I pull pieces out strategically.