Epi 10 - Flesh and Blood

Start from the beginning

Nolan raised his hand to speak, "Sergeant Grey, I'd be honored if you rode with Officer West today." Me too.

"That's cute Officer Nolan. But you know my heart belongs to you." Grey said sarcastically and everyone laughed. 

"Lucky me," Nolan said as dismally as I felt. I liked Talia, as a cop and as a friend, but not as much as a riding partner. She was too stubborn. Everything she did was an attempt to buck the system.

Grey and Anderson dismissed us at that point and I followed behind Chen as we all filed out. "Lot of weight on your shoulders today, Boot."

She turned around to look at me as we were walking. "Why, what do you mean?"

Bishop responded, "Riding with the Captain is a huge responsibility. If anything happens to her, well... I don't even know how to finish that sentence."

"I do," I answered, "Anderson gets so much as a scratch, and you'll be working motor pool in Sylmar till you die of carbon monoxide poisoning." The color drained from Chen's face. 

"Are you serious?" she asked.

"As a heart attack," I said.

Bishop and I walked to the garage, neither of us stopping to go to the supply desk. We both stopped and looked at each other and a staring contest ensued.

"So, you didn't get the gear?" I asked.

"Neither did you. Do I look like your Boot?"

"You once were." I'm the senior officer.

"For 2 weeks, a long time ago. So unless you have a time machine, it looks like we're at an impasse." She argued.

I miss Chen already.

I scoffed. "I have an idea."

I found Chen at the supply desk.

"Boot," I said and she looked up at me, "Load up our shop too," I told her and went back to the garage.

"There, taken care of," I told Bishop.

Not a second later I heard Anderson yelling, "Bradford, Bishop."

I sighed, and we stepped through the doors into the station.

"Yes, Captain," Bishop said.

"Officer Chen is my boot today. Is that perfectly clear?" She said, looking directly at me.

"Yes, ma'am." I nodded. 

"Get your gear," she said.

Bishop and I took our gear bags and the shotguns from Chen and set up the shop. We were fighting about everything, including who would drive. We settled on her because it was her usual shop.

I feel like I am suffering from Goldilocks Syndrome. West is too soft, Bishop is too hard. Why is Chen so perfect? 

We got a call of a suspected vagrant in an apartment building and responded. We were walking down the hall in the apartment building when I said, "Alright, I'll be contact, you be cover."

"What, you don't trust me to be contact?"

"Fine. You be contact, I'll be cover."

"Don't do me any favors," she said as we approached the caller who had a chair blocking the door.