3

It's officially time for the first flashback. Therefore, if you're sensitive to mentions or descriptions of abuse, simply skip over the flashback. Both the start and end of it are marked.

And yes, I changed the names of Lyrica's mother and step father. And Lyrica's middle name has been changed. They were all completely random names and I felt like they needed a little more meaning.

(3rd P.O.V.)

Lyrica and Derek are walking out of the Chinese food restaurant hand in hand as they converse, neither of them having had the energy to cook after burying Laura, but Lyrica insisting they eat something.

The parking lot is rather busy, many people coming and going as the Hales climb into Derek's sleek black Camaro. Seconds after Derek turns the key in the ignition, something hits the back of the car, shaking the vehicle. He and Lyrica both jump out, Derek quickly rounding the vehicle to check for damage as Lyrica catches sight of the silver car speeding away, tail light smashed and the bumper right under it dented. She has just enough time to read the license plate before the car flies around a corner and is gone.

"How bad is it?" Lyrica asks, walking over to her husband.

"Dumbass left a decent dent and they broke the trunk latch, but I think that's it. Did you see anything?" Derek replies, pulling a couple random bungee cords from the trunk to rig it closed.

"They busted their tail light and dented their bumper, and I got their plate."

"Perfect. Write it down so you don't forget it and let's go pay the station a visit." Derek kisses the side of her head. "You're not hurt, right?"

"You'd be able to feel it if I was." She smiles before pulling out her phone, typing the license plate numbers into her notes so she wouldn't forget. "Let's go report this bitch."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyrica is standing next to Derek at the receptionist desk in the police station, looking around as Derek fills out the necessary paperwork to report their hit and run. Her eyes trail over to the chairs lining the wall outside the sheriff's office, and she frowns when she recognizes the only person sitting there, his head down as he fidgets with something in his hands.

"I'll be right back." She tells Derek who nods, briefly looking up from the papers.

Lyrica walks over to the chairs, seating herself right beside the male.

"Isaac?" She asks and the teen jumps, looking at his teacher with wide eyes.

"Mrs. Hale?" He asks in response, fighting back the tears that suddenly spring to his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question." The woman frowns, looking at the fresh black eye, split lip, and bloody nose Isaac wears. "What happened, Honey?"

Isaac looks down as his lip quivers in the slightest, tears spilling over and running down his cheeks no matter how hard he tries to stop them.

Derek frowns as he suddenly feels waves of sorrow wash over him, the space on his back between his shoulder blades tingling. He looks up from his stack of papers and makes eye contact with his wife across the room. She's holding a sobbing teenager in her arms, looking incredibly worried. Derek sets his pen down and moves to walk over, only to freeze at the sight of her shaking her head, telling him to stay over there. He reluctantly turns back to his paperwork but focuses his hearing on the two, waiting for the moment he needs to jump in to protect his wife.