Chapter 11

Matt paced the floor, running his hands through his hair, and developing a stomach ache.

What the hell am I thinking? I should have gone with her. If something bad happens to her I wont be able to live with myself. I should follow her to make sure she's safe or something. No, she's fine on her own, but what if she's not? God, I'm tired, but I can't sleep,what if she calls? What if she loses her phone? What if someone knocks her unconscious? What if something happens and I can't get to her in time?

Matt continued to contemplate all of the possible things that could happen to Claire. He wished that his mind would stop racing with all of these terrible thoughts, and he could just have good faith that everything would turn out okay, but he just couldn't help himself.

It's selfish I know, but she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Even if we weren't involved like that. She's amazing she doesn't deserve what they did to her; no human does, and she doesn't deserve something worst to happen.

He could feel his heartbeat in his chest. It was getting faster and faster. He felt warm, beads of sweat that were running down his temple. He sat down on the couch to try and calm himself down, and held his head in his hands.

Calm down. Clam down.

His hands began to shake. Then he heard light footsteps coming up the stairs. He started to breath easier. He could hear the faint swish of her bag moving against the fabric of her clothes, her hospital smell still present from last night, and the smell of his sheets still lingering on her. The footsteps got closer, and the doorknob turned. She walked in, and closed the door behind her. She breathed in, and made her way towards him.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"You worried for nothing Matt, there's nothing wrong, no bruises, no injuries, I'm still alive aren't I?" She chuckled.

Matt let a nervous grin escape his lips, "Yeah, yeah you are."

"Did I miss anything?"

"Well let's see, there was totally an alien invasion."

"And I missed it? Damn it."

Matt snorted, "Yeah."

"So, I got my clothes, and it's only four. We have plenty of time. So do you want to shower first?"

"No, you can go first." Matt could hear something different in her voice and heartbeat; she was hesitating about something.

Please don't ask, please don't ask, please don't ask. I'm okay now. I'm just glad you're okay. Everything will be fine. Please don't worry about me. Don't ask please.

"Hey Matt, are you okay?"

Damn.

"Yeah."

"Really, because you're sweating and you have that look on your face."

"What look?"

"Just that look."

"I'm fine Claire."

She exhaled, "If you say so."

He looks like a wreck.

"Really I'm fine."

"Would you tell me if you weren't?"

Would I?

"I was just worried about you; that's it."

She walked over to him, "Matt I know you are, but I'm okay." She took his cheek in the palm of her hand.

"But when you make yourself like this it makes me worried. What good will it do to stress yourself out?"

Matt let the weight of his head drop into her hand. He inhaled all of the scents that lingered to her.

"I can't help it."

Claire's fingers gently stroked the side of his face.

"Are you really okay Matt?"

I should be asking her that after everything that's happened to her. How is she even standing right now. Maybe that's why I love her so much. Now matter how hard she gets hit she always gets back up. She's so strong.

"I'll get better."

She kissed his forehead.

"How about you shower first?"

"Okay. What clothes did you get?"

"Can't you tell with your senses?"

"I'd rather listen to your voice."

A smile grew on both their faces.

"I'll tell you when we go."

Matt stood up and placed his hands on her waist. She put her arms around his torso. They exchanged kisses, then Matt with a satisfied smirk on his face, walked to his bathroom.