Chapter 6

"Hey claire this is ready."
Matt was buttering the last pancake.
"Are those, pancakes?" She asked arching a eyebrow.
"Yeah, what did you think I was going to make? Nails without milk or something?"
She smirked. "You just don't seem like the cooking type."
"We'll I have to feed myself somehow."
He set the plates down on the table. There was three to a stack, and the syrup was on the table. Matt sat down followed by Claire.
"Thanks."
"You're welcome." He replied with a smile.
Matt practically smothered his in syrup then handed the bottle to Claire. She poured the sticky liquid over her plate, then put it down. Claire picked up her fork and took a bite.
"Wow these are pretty good."
"Thanks."
"Did you make these yourself?"
"Yeah it's an old family recipe."
"You made it from a box, huh?"
Matt laughed and nodded his head. "Yeah, yeah they're from a box."
Claire smiled. "Next time don't leave the box on the counter, but they're good either way."
Matt took another bite.
"The syrup could be better though," Claire said under breath.
"Claire Temple are you making fun of my store-brand, found-it-on-sale, syrup?" Matt said acting offended.
"No, I'm just saying it has room for improvement."
"Okay that's it." Matt said with a chuckle. He dipped his fork in syrup and smeared it on his lips. He pecked her lips before Claire could react.
"Matt, that's gross dammit." He was laughing so hard his chest and shoulders were bouncing up and down.
"Oh you think you're real funny." Claire took her fork and did the same, but this time kissed his cheek.
"Hey come on."
"You started it."
"Well I can finish it."
He caressed the side of her face with his hand, and pressed his lips to hers. Matt swore that Claire's lips fit perfectly with his.
Claire couldn't think. It was one of those times when Matt seemed to manipulate time; everything was frozen around her, she couldn't hear the noise of the street, or feel the wooden tabletop her arm was resting on. She could only feel and sense him. Every movement , every breath, everything he did, little things she barley picked up on she noticed when they touched like this. There defiantly are other ways to see.

Matt had been able to hear other people's heart beats, sense when bones moved, little things no one picked up on. He could sense it in Claire, but it was different; something he couldn't quite place, her breathing, her movements, her heartbeat, they all sounded different, almost more grand and intimate than others.

Their lips stop touching and everything came back into place, like when you come up after being under water for a long time. It's quick and sudden, then the world you're familiar with comes back into view.
"Maybe you should finish things more often."
Matt's eyes were still closed. A smile grew across his face.
"Really? Because I thought you had room for improvement." Matt said trying to hold in a laugh.
"You asshole." Claire said jokingly.
Matt smiled harder, and shrugged. "Yeah," he laid his arms on the table and leaned towards Claire, "but you like me."
"Don't jump to conclusions."
"Maybe you should keep in mind I can hear your heart beat, and your body heats up when your around me."
"Maybe you just need more syrup on your face."
"Maybe, but who could do that for me?"
Claire took his cheeks with her hands and kissed his forehead. Matt was still smiling.
"Hey you know you got something your face?" He asked her teasingly.
"Really where?"
He kissed her cheek. "There."