Chapter 7

Hey Guys! I hate to interrupt your reading of this fanfiction, but the song is really good and this is what I pictured when writing the last scene in the book. (the one where they're laying with each other)

---------------------------------------------------

Matt stood up, took the plates off the table, and placed them in the sink. Claire had her chin resting in the palm of her hand. Her eyelids were like curtains in the wind; trying to stay open but being forced closed.

"Tired?"

Claire stretched her arms above her head and softly moaned. "Yeah, but I'll be fine," she answered.

"You know um, that thing you nag me about when I'm tired? What's that called? Oh yeah, sleep."

She took a deep breath. Too exhausted to say something snarky back.

"I'll be fine Matt."

Concern showed on his face. He ran the water over the dishes before going back and sitting down. Once he was in his chair he slowly reached his hand out to her and took hers. She squeezed his in response. He traced circles with his thumb on the back of her hand.

"What are you planning to do today?"

"Well I don't have to go to work today. I guess I was hoping I could spend my day with you. If that's okay."

Claire smiled. Matt cleared he throat before speaking, "You know I'm kinda tired too."

Of course he is. He's been out all night. I forgot.

She looks like she could go out any minute.

"I'd hate to ruin your plans."

Matt smirked, "You are my plans."

"Sleep?"

"Yeah, sleep," she replied softly.

Claire took her hand out of his, and slowly got up. She started to walk to his bedroom. "Are you coming?"

"You wanna change into something more comfortable?"

Claire looked down at her clothing ensemble, she was still wearing her scrubs. Matt still had his black pants and boots on.

"Um, yeah good idea."

"I have some clothes you can borrow if you want."

"Uh, yeah sure that's great."

They walked to the bedroom. Matt rummaged through his dresser. He pulled out some black and grey, plaid pajama pants, and a short sleeved button down shirt. He placed them on top of the dresser and grabbed some pajama pants for himself. He turned around holding the clothes. He handed Claire her set then, walked out the room. Once he was completely out of the room Claire changed and placed her folded scrubs on the dresser.

They were quite soft and comfy.

She laid her body gently on the bed, and let out a soft moan.

After last night, this is amazing.

She didn't realize how tired she was until her body met the mattress. Her shoulders dropped, and her muscles started to relax. A small grin grew across her face. She turned on her side and clung to the pillow. There was a flush, then she heard Matt come into the bedroom. He sensed her almost lifeless form sprawled across the bed. Her chest was rising and falling. Matt grinned.

She's angelic.

He settled himself in next to her; a smile covered with drowsiness grew across her face. Matt turned on his side facing her, and intertwined his fingers with hers. They edged closer and closer until their foreheads were touching.

"There's so many things I want to tell you Matt."

"Me too."

"It's just, They way I feel about you. And, I'm....I'm so grateful that I'm the person you opened your world too."

"Me too, honestly I don't think it could have been anyone else."

Matt kissed her forehead then, Claire kissed his noes.

"Claire."

She turned her head up to face his.

"I know right now, things aren't the perfect circumstances. I know it's dangerous, but I promise I'll always love you."

"Matt."

"Yeah."

She caressed the side of his face and stroked his cheek with her thumb.

"Things are going to change, bad things are going to happen, but no matter what happens...I'll always love you too. I'll always be there for you."

"You too."

Matt pressed his lips to hers. Claire held a gaze at him, while Matt listened to her heartbeat and felt her chest rise.

I don't know what it is, but something about her breathing. The way she does it. It's so steady. So strong.

I don't know what it is about him. Ever since that night I found him I've had this desire to be close to him.

Soon Claire couldn't take the burning in the back of her eyes. She moved closer to Matt, and wrapped her arms around his waist. Matt returned her embrace and held her tight. He absentmindedly stroked her hair. Claire felt all the tenseness in her muscles disappear. They slowly drifted to sleep.