Chapter 2

Claire took a deep inhale before walking into the building. If it wasn't enough that she had his address memorized his apartment was the one with the amazingly obnoxious moving advertisement. She walked at a moderate pace up the stairs until she arrived at his apartment, 6A. Oh yeah, great idea. Now how I'm I suppose to get myself in? She tried her credit card, but it wouldn't budge. The last thing she wanted to do was ask the neighbors. She raised her arm above her and felt around the top of the door frame for a spare key. Honestly? What I'm I even doing? The guy puts his life at risk everyday, and I'm looking for a-

She felt metal on her finger tips. She grabbed it and opened the door. Matt wasn't there.

Of course he isn't. What did you expect?

She glanced around the room. Just this morning he was inches from her, but it felt like he was miles and centuries away. Claire could feel her eyes itching from the inside. Till sunrise.

No matter how much her body longed for sleep she refused to give in to the civil war between her and her body. She tried to blink away the drowsiness, but she could see darkness forming around her. She kept her eyes on the billboard and her mind on him. Will I ever see him again? She could see the sunlight cast a small glow on the floor.

Matt kept his head low. He had to exercise caution at all times with the mask on. He stood in front of his apartment. His mind drifted to Claire and of their last conversation. I got out of there alive, but that doesn't mean I'll see her again.

He started to climb up the fire escape, then went through an open window on his floor. He listened for any sign that someone was awake, or walking around. He couldn't hear anything that would be problematic, until he walked closer to his apartment door; there was someone in there. They're nervous, hasn't slept all night. Whoever it was smelled like hospital rooms, and latex gloves.

Claire?

He slowly opened the door. Claire quickly turned her head in his direction. "Matt."

He took his mask off.

"Claire what are you doing?"

"You're a asshole!"

"We'll it's good to see you too. Tell me something I don't know."

"All hell breaks lose, and you're out there doing God-knows what!"

"What was I supposed to do!"

"Not walk around careless risking your life every time you get a small piece of information!"

"I have to do something about this Claire, you know that."

"Well next time you do, don't call up saying goodbye."

"What if that was my only chance!"

"That's the point you asshat! I thought I wouldn't see you again." Matt could hear the sound of tears roll down her eyes. He slowly reached his arms out to her. She buried her head in his shoulder and clung to him. He held her tight.

"Its okay, I'm here, I've got you." He caressed her head.

"I'm not letting you go." He could feel the warm tears on his shoulder. Matt could feel beads of water forming in his eyes.

"You don't have to."

She lifted her head towards him.

"Have you ever thought, about how hard it would be for people if you weren't here one day?"

Tears were streaming down his cheek.
"I just can't lose you," Claire said.

She kissed him. When their lips embraced there was this complicated homey feeling neither of them could put into words.

When they released Claire traced the side of his face with her hand. His head followed her path.

"So, what's wrong?"

"Well, a minute ago, you where screaming and now we're both in tears."

"Okay first of all I was not screaming, and I meant injuries idiot."

"I'm fine."

"Last time you said that you had three stab wounds."

"Well I'm fine."

"Well I don't care; sit on the couch or something."

Matt gave a heavy sigh." You really need to sleep Claire."

"And you need medical attention."

"You're unbelievable you know that?"

"Yes."