Chapter 20: The Name's Scanlan Shortholt and don't you forget it!

The others continued to wait in cover, some of them were resting as Percy repeatedly clicked the barrel of his gun. "Darling," Vex spoke up, stopping him.

"Scanlan's probably three-deep at a brother right now. Who let that sex-crazed gnome do this solo?" she questions aloud, pulling her hand away. "Um, you?" Vax answers her.

She huffs as she presses her chin into her hand. "Never listen to me again." she groans, then Percy huffs and stood to his feet, "That's ot. I'm calling it," he spoke as Vex looks up at him.

"You're just going in?" she questions him, he flicks his eyes down at her, "The longer we wait, the more we risk being discovered. On my shot, we move," he orders them.

"Will you give it a rest!" Jason calls out, making the others look at him. "Stay out of this, Bassfoot!" Percy snaps at him, but the Paladin just frowns. "Don't start Percival. Look, I know you want to save your sister, but have some faith in our bard. There's more to him than just singing songs and sex." he informs them.

Vex frowns at him, "Oh, and you're an expert?" she questions, Jason looks at her, "I trust Scanlan to get this done, can you say the same?" he questions. Percy just looks away, frowning to himself.

Lowering his pepperbox. "Fine, we'll wait a little longer." he agrees then turns and glares at him, "But so help me, Brassfoot, if you're wrong--" he starts.

"Holy shit. He did it." Vax spoke up as he see the rising smoke of Vedmire's manor. "And it looks like he went all-out," he adds, Kyria stood to her feet and looks out at the cover, seeing the smoke.

The others stood, "Oh, yeah, he's into dat freaky stuff." Grog spoke up. "Damn. I will never underestimate Scanlan Shortholt again." Kyria admits to herself.

Archie watches as the guards were leaving Anders's manor and head towards the fire. "Excellent plan, Vox Machina," he said with a grin looking back at the others.

Who was just as surprised, "I mean... that is what we're known for." Vax said as he tries to put on a confident smile. Keyword: Try. Kyira nudges her head to him, "What he said." she throws in.

"I'll rally the rebels. When you have her, send a sign." Archie informs as he goes to leave, but looks over his shoulder. "And, Percy, try not to get yourself killed," he said and held his hand out to him.

Percy just smiles, "I was dead yesterday, remember? Can only improve from here." he jokes as he locks hands with him. Then Archie pulls away and hurries off.

Vox Machina steps out from the trench, into the soaking rain, Percy pressed his hand to the wall, looking at the manor just a few feet from them.

Then one by one they hurried across the yard, heading towards the front door as they were gathered at the steps. Percy and Keyleth pressed their back against the wall by the door as the Druid peeks inside, seeing no one in sight.

She turns and looks back at the others, "Looks clear inside." she answers and grips the door. But Vax'ildan stops her from turning the knob. "Hold on! It could be a trap," he warns and checks the door.

Jason looks behind them, seeing no sign of any of the guards returning or any unknown surprises behind them. Grog just grunts in annoyance. "Not everything is a trap, you twit." he snaps, marching forward.

The Paladin turns back, "Grog, wait!" he whispers as the half-giant grips the Rogue's shoulder. "Let's do this!" he shouts, pulling the rogue out of the way and kicking in the door, his ax at the ready.

But the smile falls as he saw about 30 to 40 guards all standing on the archway of the steps, with their bows at the ready and arrows drawn. "It's a trap," Grog admits to himself, and the guards opened fire.