Chapter 18: Let's Rebel

~Years ago...~

"Whitestone. Mined from our very mountains, its plain appearance belies an exceptional trait." Professor Anders explains to younger versions of Percival and Cassandra.

Percival was attentive in the lesson, books stacked next to him one opened and taking notes as Cassandra was just bored with just one book as it was closed in front of her.

"When refined, it is known by another name," he asks, looking at the two from the corner of his eye as he held the green stone in his hand. "Residuum Glass, Professor Anders." Percy answers with his hand raised.

"Correct as always, Percival." Anders said with a roll of his eyes, Percival just smiles at the approval. "Residuum is a potent arcane amplifier," Anders explains as Cassandra shot a look over at her brother and then a mischievous smile.

She aims the straw and fired a spitball at him, she hits him, stopping him from his note-taking, and shot a glare at her as she went back to acting like she was just reading the book. But snickers to herself.

"Take this delicate Lambent Crystal, for instance." Anders covers a crystal as he picks up its box. He places the crystal in the holder and holds the glass close to the crystal, causing it to glow.

Percival pays close attention to the lesson, but Cassandra slowly peeks over the stack of books. And with a light shove, she topples the books over and knocks the jar of ink onto his vest.

Percival gasps in shock as his vest was stained, "Ugh! Cass!" he shouts, jumping to his feet. She just smiles, giggling at him. "Cassandra," Anders calls out, drawing the young girl's attention.

The professor just frowns at her, "Are you volunteering to demonstrate?" he questions her. She blinks "Um, certainly, Professor." she answers and stood from her chair.

She walks to the front desk and he gestures for her to try, she flicks her eyes down at the glass, picks it up, and held it close to the crystal. 

"On its own, the light remains measured. However, when even a tiny bit of Residuum touches it..." he said, taking Cassandra's hand as he hand the cloth in her hand, covering the crystal and moving it away.

He moves both the crystal and glass too close to one another as they were both in Cassandra's hands, the light imitates brightly and with a small tink, the crystal shatters in her hands.

Cassandra jumps back with a gasp and looks up at the professor as he just grins down at her. But then the door opens as Lord and Lady de Rolo step into the room, "You're not endangering the heirs of Whitestone, are you, Professor?" Lord de Rolo questions him as the children and Anders looks at them.

"No, of course not, my Lord." Anders answers, making himself presentable as he steps away from the desk "Merely replaying the import of its most valuable commodity." he informs and bows to them.

"Do keep the children in one piece if you can." Lady de Rolo asks as she looks at her son and daughter. "Childr... yes." Anders answers. As they smiled back at their mother.

They turn away, but answers just followed, rubbing his hands, "I-if I may, I still have not received word on my refinery proposal." he informs them, Lord de Rolo just frowns at him. "Anders, we've been over this." he reminds him.

Anders lifts his head to him, "Yes, but with enough funding, we could triple our Residuum production." he whispers to him with awe in his eyes.

But Lord de Rolo just turns to him "Your ambitions cloud your duties!" he snaps at him but stops himself as he flicks his eyes over at his children who just watched.