Chapter 8: The Evil Behind that Smile

The dinner table was quiet as everyone was waiting for the Sovereign to join them, Percy kept his eyes on the Briarwoods, Jason flicks his eyes between Percy and the married couple as he recognizes the look.

Kyria looks over to Jason as he locks eyes with her, she flicks her eyes to Percy and then back to him. Jason shook his head, a worried look in his eyes, then she raised her hand, with a thumb, turning her hand.

Jason thinks for a moment then gave her a thumbs down, Kyria exhales with worry as she looks away. Then a knock on wood grabs everyone's attention, except half of Vox Machina. "Attention please be given to our Sovereign Uriel Tal'Dorei III and Empress Salda Tal'Dorei." the Sargent-in-arms calls out as Uriel and his wife walk out, arm in arm.

Everyone, including Keyleth, Kyria, and Jason stood before the Sovereign and Empress. Allura clears her throat, looking back at Vox Machina. Keyleth blinks and then looks over her shoulder.

She gasp as the others were still seated, Jason smacks Scanlan's shoulder as Kyria kicks at Percy's chair. Vex catches on and stood, pulling at Percy's arm. 

Then they finally stood from their seat for the Sovereign and Empress. But Percy's eyes wandered back to the Briarwoods.

Once joined at the table, the others seat themselves, as Percy's eyes remained on Delilah. "Nothing like a dragon attack to bring us all together, eh?" Uriel jokes, soft laughter filling the room for a moment, "Thank you, everyone, for making the journey in. Please, allow me to introduce our dining party." Uriel said and began naming off all the guests at the table.

Keyleth flicks her eyes at Percy as he was frozen like stone, glaring at Delilah and Sylas. "Percy? Percy. P-Percy." she whispers to him as Scanlan was following his glaze. "He's just staring like a perv," Scanlan whispers back to her.

Kyria just flicks her eyes to Vex for a moment then back to the Briarwoods, then to Percy. "Percy." she whispers to him, but he ignores her, "He said the Briarwoods took everything," Vex whispers to Grog and Pike. "What does that mean?" Pike whispers to him.

"We cannot be caught unprepared again." Uriel calls out, everyone agrees with him as he took a seat "Percy, talk to us." Pike whispers to him as their food was presented. He kept his eyes on the Briarwoods. "Percy," Pike whispers again and this time she chucks her fork right at him.

It hits his fork that was held tightly in his hand and clatters onto the table. This surprises some of the people as the fork just sat there. Keyleth chuckles nervously at them and they resume their eating.

Kyria frown and kicks Percy's leg. He stiffens for a moment then glares at her, "What was that for?!" he whispers, the witch narrows her eyes at him "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not the one sitting in my chair, glaring daggers." she hisses back at him.

He frowns and looks away, "I'm fine." he answers. "Oh, yeah, sure," Keyleth said rhetorically. "Percy, talk to us. Were here for you." Jason tells him. 

Percy shot a glare at him, but Jason wasn't fazed. "Percy, I say you just walk over to the Briarwoods, say hello to break the ice, then punch them in the face. See what happens." Grog informs him.

"Grog, no." Pike tells him, "Eh, I don't hate Grog's idea." Scanlan agrees, "It's a bloody brilliant one. Table that for a rainy day." Jason tells him. Grog nods at him with a thumbs up "Uh, we have to wait. Give Vax a chance to gather some intel." Vex informs them as she covers her lips with her fan.

~8~8~8~

Patrolling through the halls, guards kept their eyes open for any suspense activities, but walks through the halls, Vax peeks out from behind the pillar then was right behind him, mimicking his movement.