Chapter 12: The Little Light in the Darkness

Scanlan bites into his sandwich, and some mustard drips onto the page, "Aww." he groans, wiping it away. Kyria groans as she pulls the book away. "Hey." he groans. She just shot a glare at him. "Honestly," she mutters, then places her hand on the page and heats it, gently to remove the stain.

It lightly simmers the page, but she pulls away before making any real damage, leaving an out light of her hand. 

Then sets the book down and reads over it. But looks back, seeing Scanlan giving her a smirk. "You drop mustard on it." she threw back at him.

He snorts, then looks at his hand, seeing the mustard stain, "Ugh." he groans. The two stand next to each other lost in their thoughts.

Then Grog bursts into the room, getting their attention "Everyone up! Creepy shit incoming." he warns as Pike was next to him and Jason appears behind him. The four exchanged looks. Kyria took the book into her hands and they followed them to the foyer. Meeting with Percy and Keyleth

"What's happening?"

"Where have the guards gone?"

They both asked them, Kyria and Jason shrugs at them. Then the front door opens as Jarett and the remainder of his guard run back into the keep and quickly close the doors behind them.

"What did you do?!" he questions them. They all looked at Scanlan. "Don't look at me. All I did was make a hoagie," he shouts as Jarrett and his guard march towards them. "Five of my mine are dead. If you didn't kill them, who did?" Jarrett questions them.

Then the lights suddenly went out, and the hairs on the back of Jason's neck suddenly stood up as a cold chill runs down his spine.

Something was lurking just in the shadows, "Uh..." Scanlan whimpers and Kyria growls as she held the book close to her chest. Then Vax immediately looks up, "Changing a guess it was them." he answers.

Everyone looks up, seeing wraiths looming over the beam, glaring down at them. Letting out his inhuman screech, they charged, killing the remainder of Jarrett's guards. They turn their attention to Vox Machina.

One charge right at Scanlan and he went flying "Scanlan!" Keyleth calls out as one came charging right for Kyria. 

"Look out!" Jason shouts, shoving her out of the way. And it phases right into his body, he falls to his hands and knee, coughing as black ichor slips from his eyes and mouth.

Kyria falls to the ground, the book slips from her hands, and slides a few feet away, "They want the book." Vex looks over at the book on the ground.

The wraith dive right for it. Kyria shakes her head, propping herself up, and looks at the book. She went running for it, but Vex beats her to it. Picking the book off the ground and slips past them. "Keyleth heads up!" she calls out.

Keyleth immediately looks back at her. Vex throws the book as one of the phases right into her body, she smacks into the wall, falling to her hands and knees as she coughs up the black ichor.

The book flew into the air as a wraith chases it, but Keyleth catches the book and the beast shapes into a hare, hopping away. The wraith was right on her. Kyria ran to Jason, pulling his arm over her shoulder and helping him up.

Scanlan was slammed to the ground, the wraith digging its claws into his chest and he groans out in pain as he left his left slipping from him, "Scanlan!" Vax shouts as then swipes his knife at the wraith.

But the blade went right through it, turning its attention back to him. "Damn it," he growls. "I got him," Grog calls out as he grips hold of Scanlan and ran for it. Pike helps Vex run "Fall back!" she calls out as Kyria did the same for Jason.