Chapter 5: Age of Man

Scanlan sat with Grog, bored out of his mind as they both sat in the market "Scanlan just sighs, "So, um, what are we supposed to be doing, again?" Grog asks as he scratches his ear.

"I don't know, searching for Fince or something. God, this is boring." Scanlan groans, leaning against Grog's leg. But the sound of giggling catches his attention and he lit up, "Hold up. You know where that creepy little taint-raisin would be? The brothel. Oh, yeah." he said as he stood up.

A worker places a wagon of ale next to the square and Grog reaches in and takes a barrel. "Yeah, we can investigate there for hours if we need to." Scanlan states as Grog chugs the ale for a moment, "Yeah, but, won't Vex be kind of pissed if we ain't doing what she said to?" he asks his gnome friend.

Scanlan was back and pointed at him, "I don't give a wet fart what he thinks. Clearly, I'm the brains of this operation." he tells him. Placing his hands on his hips. "Really? 'Cause he told me you have a dick for brains, which doesn't seem possible." Grog said.

"It means it thinks with his dick," Jason calls out, and Scanlan yelps as he jumps away, they both find Jason Brassfoot standing right behind them, his arms crossed, shield on his back as his mace was at his hip. "Jason! What a coincidence, we were just talking about... investigating the local towns folk..." Scanlan tries to smooth it over.

But Jason just smiles, kneels, and places his hand on his shoulder, "It's alright, Scanlan, I get where you're coming from. But it's really important that we find Fince." he tells him.

Scanlan just frowns and looks away, "Okay." he said meekly, kicking the dirt. But Jason leans in and whispers to him, "But after we get this done, I'll head to the brothel with ya." he promises.

Scanlan lit up and looks at him, "Oh come, even I know to never pass up a chance." he said and held his fist out, Scanlan smirked and bumps his fist to his. Jason stood up as Scanlan looks away, but he immediately stops as he saw a dark hidden figure walking into the market.

It was Sir Fince, trying to keep himself from being recognized, Scanlan stammers, looking for a place to hind, and jumps into the barrel in Grog's hands.

Jason quickly sat down, pulls out a small knife, and began to sharpen it as Grog noticed and quickly looks around.

Sir Fince walks past the two fighters as they were acting casually, Grog drinking the ale as Jason kept his eyes on the knife in his hand. Once he passes, Grog turns the barrel, Scanlan pops out the cork, and watches Fince walk away. "It's that thin-lipped crypt keeper." Scanlan whispers as Jason looks past Grog. "Fince is definitely up to something.

Scanlan pops out of the barrel, "Come on." he tells them, Grog belches as Jason places the knife and sharpens away and all three quickly hid as Fince looks back, hearing the belch.

Fince walks through the side alley as the three peeks in, "You guys go on ahead, I'll find Vex and the others." Jason whispers to them, "You're not gonna help follow him?" Grog asks.

Jason just looks at him and points down at himself. "I don't think I'll pass the stealth check in this armor," he whispers. "Ohhh, right." the Goliath said and both he and Scanlan walk into the alley, "We're rendezvous with you back at the square," Scanlan tells him. Jason nods at him and took off running at the two hurried after Fince.

Through every turn and twist, Grog and Scanlan kept on his trail as it leads back to the upper district of Cloudtop, held behind the turn as Sir Fince steps into the gardens of this fancy manor of a nobleman.

"Hey, can you see him from up there?" Grog calls out to him, but Scanlan just shushes him. "That way. Across the street," he whispers and Grog moves along the wall as Scanlan kept his eyes on him. "He's sneaking up to that fancy manor," he informs him.