Chapter 1

"Hello!", a squeaky voice screeched in my ear and startled me while I was trying to get into the house.

I turned and realized that the voice matched the appearance. It belonged to a skinny, pale man in dark clothing that looked like a robe. He was accompanied by a similarly dressed man, who was at least double the height of the first one. They stared at me maniacally and eagerly. I realized they were here either to sell me something or to buy my soul for pebbles.

I rolled my eyes and huffed before either of them had a chance to speak, "No, listen..."

"Do you have a minute to talk about Dracula?", shorty continued nervously.

"Wait, Dracula?", I repeated in disbelief.

"Yes!", the higher one exclaimed with a big smile on his face.

"You are vampires?", I frowned. I also worked harder on unlocking that damn front door, which kept getting stuck.

"Yes! We have pamphlets, as well", shorty insisted, pushing a bunch of pamphlets in my free hand.

"I didn't know vampires had missionaries", I glanced at the said pamphlets and they were really funny looking. Too much red, if you ask me.

"Where else would new vampires come from?", he looked at me and seems really troubled, which was odd. I really couldn't believe they were being serious. I pretended to read the pamphlet while I gently tried stepping into my house. I wasn't scared of them, that much, but wouldn't want to risk it.

"I assumed you bit people", I murmured.

"Oh, well, there are many hurtful stereotypes. May we come in?"

"Are you serious?", I responded automatically and instantly regretted it. Not because I was scared that they'd hurt me, but because it's discriminating and rude. I might add that my grandma taught me to be polite to other people, no matter who they are. To be honest, she also taught me to stake a vampire on site, but semantics.

"Are you serious? You know we are not daunted by doorways, we are just being polite", the taller one said, genuinely hurt.

"Hmm, of course I know that." I didn't, "Okay, guys, I know we got off on the wrong foot, and I'm sorry, I really admire what you're doing, but I'm not really interested in being a vampire"

"Have we mentioned that you get to live forever?"

"You didn't have to; I know that and it sounds awful." They looked at me the in disbelief. I knew my opinion on immortality was an unpopular one, but I didn't care. Eternal life sounds like a nightmare.

"You can't be serious", shorty breathed out.

"Is this some kind of reverse psychology? You know, where she says she doesn't want something to actually make us do it against the rules", the tall one mumbled nervously. He was looking at the short one and started to breath heavily. His hands were also shaking, it seems like he was having a panic attacks. 

"Oh, no, I didn't mean to..." I felt bad. I really didn't want to upset him. I reached with my hand towards him, but he flinched and pull back. I pulled my hand back as well.

"Nobody is going to make you do anything against your will or the rules, Paul, please pull yourself together", I sensed some annoyance in shorty's voice, but disregarded it. Vampire insecurities are none of my business.

"Paul? Your name is Paul?", I asked. Paul looked at me and frowned.

"Do I have to be named Vlad for you to take me seriously? I mean, you ... you're a terrible creature, you know that?", Paul seemed stressed and he looked at me once more in disgust before he stormed off. "Let's go James, she's a lost cause."