➹| nine

"Erin!" I heard my Auntie shouted all the way from the kitchen.

"You better be up or else I'm going to enter your room with a pot full of hot water and pour it to you!" I rolled my eyes this woman is really strict when it comes to our schedule, I sometimes thank god for it, but sometimes it gets really annoying.

I walked downstairs making sure that she's hearing my footsteps, "I am already up stop makling a fuss, aunt." I jokingly said.

"Tigilan mo ako, Erin Daniel Davies ha, umiinit ang ulo ko sa mga balita ngayon. Tingnan mo, nasa TV ka na naman." I frowned with a questioning look then I remembered I did a speech yesterday inside the school grounds.

I looked at our television here in the kitchen; it's placed hanging on the wall above the refrigerator. I saw myself and the event yesterday being aired at a station. I didn't know there was a media yesterday, but oh, well, I don't mind I am always being aired on the television because of my progressive groups and speeches outside the school grounds and even outside the Congress.

"Auntie, are you still not used to it? Lagi naman akong nasa TV, wala nang bago." I deadpanned and started pouring myself a cup of strong coffee in my mug.

"Hindi pa rin, lalo na ngayong ang daming nawawala at pinapatay dahil sa pagpupuna sa mga politiko." I heard the worry in her voice, but I just don't have any control of it. I need to speak up, I need to stand up for what is right. I just can't stay silent and watch my country being fucked up by these politicians. I just can't stay silent and watch my fellow people suffering by being poor because of capitalism and imperialism. I just can't.

"Erin..." The tone in my Auntie's voice changed, suddenly it was like she was going to ask me a favor and I already know what it is.

"Auntie, please, we've already talked about this. I can't just stop. Nangako na ako sa sarili ko at sa harap ng pulang bandila na lalaban ako.." I looked at her in all seriousness, I am determined; nobody can make me just stop especially right now that we need more people to speak up.

"I'm just really worried about you.. your safety.. ayokong matulad ka-" She didn't finish her sentence, but I waited for her. I know what she's talking about. She doesn't want my fate to end up like my parents, but I already told her that I am not afraid of death.

I'd rather die fighting for a brighter future than die doing nothing and not using my voice to change the system.

"You need to understand, Auntie. This is a lifetime commitment that I promised to myself. I am doing this because I want both of you, Kendric and you to feel safe in this country, not like this, not what you are feeling right now just because I am fighting for what is right. It shouldn't be like that, shouldn't it?"

I looked away, not wanting to have this conversation again with my Auntie.

"You shouldn't be feeling like that in the first place, Auntie. And you know deep down in yourself that the system is fucked and we need to change that, we deserve a country where we don't have to be eaten by fear just because we are criticizing a politician on what they are doing wrong." I walked towards our dining table with the cup of coffee in my hand and taking a seat.

I heard Auntie sighed and taking a seat in front of me, I didn't bother looking at her and just proceeded to eat my breakfast.

We shouldn't be arguing in front of Ken but I don't have a choice, she opened the conversation and I need to address it once again.

"Erin, I understand you.. I am just so afraid that-" I looked up at her and she was closing her eyes clearly hurting by this situation, I hate to see her like this but I have my priorities straight and no one, I mean no one could make me stop from serving the people.