part 23 - gathering

I've been kicking sand into the water for a few minutes now. My heat is starting any moment. I can't help but be bitter towards Bodhi for even getting a spot to compete when she missed her first heat. Ever since I've known her, it's always been so easy to get everything. Modeling, surfing, Ari. She can have everything but Ari.

I can't stop thinking about how he just up and left me when I was rooting for him this whole time. Seeing his back turned to me felt horrible. It's worse than drinking pure lemon juice. Like this sour, quenching feeling in my gut. To think about what I'd say to him after this heat has caused this large lump in my throat. I couldn't form words for the life of me right now.

But now my mind has to go elsewhere. It needs to stay focused on this heat and show these judges I worked hard. Getting that Wildcard spot is my only goal right now.

"Don't think about anything else. This is your biggest heat ever." It's like Poppy read my mind. She held a supportive grip on my shoulder and I nodded to her before going to the starting line.

━━༺❀༻━━

The lump in my throat immediately dissipated. Staring at the rushing and crashing of waves on the seashore comforted me oddly. The flare starting the heat went off and I ran recklessly to the water, almost tripping within the first three seconds of it beginning.

I really couldn't tell you what happened after. All I remember is pushing against the other contestants to get as many waves I could.

Bodhi was killing wave after wave, though. She even cut Poppy when going for one.

At the last minute, there was no hope. Bodhi has annihilated the competition including me.

It felt like a walk of shame going back to the seashore. I bit the inside of my cheek. It seems like everything comes easily for Bodhi. Even her spot in the competition was given by her sponsor.

Cheers for Bodhi getting that Wildcard spot echoed at the Shorehaven tent. God, I'm so bitter right now. Ari. Surfing. Sponsors. What the hell, Bodhi?

Bodhi walked up to me with a bright smile on her face. "Good heat, Mina." She held her hand out. "I know you practiced hard on it."

"You deserved it, mate. You and Ari are going to kill it at the Subtropix." I shook her hand.

She thanked me and went to the judges' table to get more information about the future competition. I sat on the bench feeling defeated. I worked so hard but sometimes things don't end up my way. It's sad. I sat in the beach chair not even caring the sun is blasting in my eyes.

Poppy sat next to me, scrunching her wet hair with a towel dry. "I know you feel like crap right now." I nudged her lightly.

"Gee, thanks for pointing it out." I sulked and sinked myself deeper into the chair. It's nice to see how much closer Poppy and I have gotten since we first met. I can still remember how she'd actively define our relationship. Now, she hasn't mentioned it even once. "Thanks, Pops."

"For what?" She gave a confused look.

"Just being there. Who knew Ari was the thing to make us closer."

Poppy laughed and I closed my eyes to bask in the sun. Now, I don't want anyone to bother me. I just want to sleep all day in the sun with no interruptions.