Tears [RedSon n Nuo] (3/?)

For the next few years, the two did this a lot.

Nuo would sneak in they would talk and hang out for hours. Then Red Son would walk her to the door wishing her a safe journey and they would go to bed in their own homes. It was a fun, and simple. But there were some nights that weren't as simple or fun.

Cause some days are just bad and there isn't any fixing them. Sometimes the thoughts creep in and theres no way around it.
Other days, everything comes at you at once and there is no way to fix it.
Questions will flood your mind while your best friend holds you while you cry and shake...while you try understand so many unfair things.

Why they left.
Why he left.
Why?
Why didn't he say goodbye.
Why isn't there a way to bring you home?
Why life is unfair.
So many why's.

No answers

But...this night, this one particularly dark night Nuo come in crying, she was crying saying she didn't want to be part of 'that family' anymore.
Nuo clutched her pants as tears poured from her eyes, grinding her teeth, and taking short rapid breaths.

"What do you mean? I know they aren't great. But their still your family I mean your siblings aren't that bad! I'm sure they still love you," he said trying to comfort her.
"No, they don't! You don't understand!" Nuo snapped,
"Hey! I'm trying to help!" Red Son snapped back with his short temper. He wasn't concerned about his voice, his mother wasn't home and wouldn't be for a while.

"Well it's not helpful! You don't get it!"
"WHAT THE HELL DO I NOT GET!? YOU HAVE SIBLINGS AND YOUR FAMILY! WHAT ABOUT YOUR PARENTS IM SUR-"
"WERE JUST FUCKING TOOLS TO THEM!" Red Son went silent as Nuo sobbed.

"That's all we are!" She screamed curling into a ball, Red Son reached for her shoulder. But stopped when he saw scars littering her arms.

Nuo did wear long sleeves often but there were times she didn't and he never saw a single scar before.

These looked years old.

Red Son looked at her, Nuo's face buried in her arms and she hiccuped and sobbed,
"We're-were just things to them!" She sobbed. She was shaking violently, her breaths were rapid, tears only poured. Which meant her hair was growing rapidly as well.

Red Son noticed some papers on the ground and scooped them up quickly, along with anything else not water proof.
After, he sat down next to her. Red Son gently rested his hand on her shoulder, she didn't move. So he put his arm around her and gently tilted her to lay on his shoulder. She did, she laid on his shoulder and sobbed.

He didn't mind, he had cried on her shoulder before, many times before as well.

After a while, she was breathing fairly normal again.
"When you came in, you weren't making sense. What did you mean you were tools? Just things to them?" Red Son asked her still resting on his shoulder.

For a while it was silent.

But,
"We-were were raised as soldiers. We were taught survival and trained to the bone." She hiccuped, "No one was taught...love or compassion..they don't care about us." She sobbed.

Red Son felt Nuo's body tense,
"No one in that damn...castle cares about anything but being on top! No one cares about each other! If we don't get up early enough we don't get to eat, and if we don't finish dinner we have to sit there all night until we finish it! If you don't check your food, they poison it! I don't get to sit in my room cuase if they find me relaxing I become a target!" Nuo yelled tears still spilling from her eyes.

Red Son was too stunned, he didn't know what to do, he didn't know what to say. So he didn't say a thing, he just tightened his grip on her arm.
"No one cares! If you love something it's considered weak! Oh and gods forbid you want to go to a festival or give someone a gift! We're punished for even mentioning it!" She exclaimed angrily. Red Son just stared in sorrow, nodding showing that he was listening. "OH AND IF YOU CANT GET UP ON YOUR OWN CUASE A FUCKING BOLDER IS CRUSHING YOUR FEET THEY LEAVE YOU TO DIE!" Nuo finally screamed the tears overflowing her face. The room was now flooding with water.

Red Son just stared, he didn't know what to do, or what he could do. Nuo bit her lip and began loudly sobbing again. Red Son grabbed her and hugged her tightly,
"W-well..WELL I CARE ABOUT YOU!" Red Son announced. "I WOULD CARE IF THERE WAS A BOLDER OR A SCRATCH ON YOUR KNEE!" he hugged her tighter and closer to his chest.

"You know what! Your not going back there! They'll have to go through me to get you back!" he yelled confidently.
Nuo looked up at Red Son who was fully serious.
His hand was placed gently on the back of her head and the other was on waist pulling her close. She couldn't get out of his hold even if she wanted to, usually this would leave her terrified trying to find anyway to get out of a hold like this. Instead, she felt safe and secure. Like she could lay there forever and never be troubled again.

But reality is cruel.

She laughed weakly wiping tears away,
"Were just replaceable tools. They don't care if we go missing Red Son. But they could use it as an excuse to take down your family. You'll be putting everyone at risk," she said sniffing. Red Son looked around, her hair was so long it was starting to flow underneath his door flooding the hallway.
"I think it's worth it," he said, he held her tighter,
"I think your worth it." He said. Nuo just stared in his eyes....before she looked down laying back on his chest. She smiled softly giving a little sigh as she relaxed her body was no longer tense. She was content...for now.

How could a mother and father be so cruel to their own children. He didn't understand. Red Son let Nuo vent more and he found out what she meant by 'tools' to their parents.

Her parents literally used them for war. They were taught fighting skills, strategy, survival skills, and even pressure points on different demons and humans. They were raised to believe that everything they did was wrong.
Red Son understood now.
His mother's anger and cautiousness of the Water Demon Family, why Nuo hated herself for being born.

They were treated like weapons in battle, soldiers to defend the family name...that's all they were.

Just soldiers.

Soldiers they got to mend from birth.

It scared Red Son the fact she was forced to do the same thing as them and learn to fight and survive in a world where everyone hates you and where they could kill you if they wanted.
Red Son didn't want to imagine how hard it must be to live there.
"They didn't teach you how to just live? Be kids, have fun?" Nuo wiped away her tears and shook her head.
"No. When they started making us go to parties and dinners it was horrible at first. It was like my fight or flight was on high mode, not that it wasn't already at my house. But there I didn't know where I was, I didn't know the people their intentions, where the exit's were we knew nothing. It was horrible," Nuo explained to him.

Red Son looked down at his friend as she wiped her eyes, he squeezed her for a moment.
"I'm sorry." Nuo was shocked, but she squeezed back starting to cry again.

Her hair grew so long it flooded the room now up to thier knees.

After a while, Nuo was now laying on his lap as he played with her hair.
"Thank you," Nuo said opening her eyes,
"For what?" he asked,
"For everything really." Nuo got up to look Red Son in the eyes. He smiled,
"Of course," he said his eyes softening. Nuo looked at Red Son, then hugged him again.
"Thank you for making me feel safe," she whispered. Red Son pulled away looking back up at her again,
"Anytime Nuo, anytime." Nuo smiled, she laid her head on his chest. He put an arm around her. For the first time in a while, both of them felt completely safe and happy.

After a few minutes Red Son spoke again,
"Hey Nuo?"
"Yeah?"
"If you were all raised the same, why did you end up different?" he asked. Nuo was silent but then sighed,
"Someone else taught me how to love..." she whispered,
"Who?"
"That's..a story for another time.." Nuo whispered snuggling closer to Red Son. He wanted to ask further but, he learned enough about Nuo's personal life for today.

As it got later and later, Nuo had to go home. As Nuo and Red Son walked to the door, Red Son grabbed her hands,
"Uh-don't..Dont die okay?" he asked blushing, Nuo blushed she looked around, she thought for a moment. She hugged him again, tightly this time. Then walked off, waving goodbye. Red Son watched as she slowly faded from view. He watched until her beautiful hair was no longer in sight.

Then he shut the door, he stood there for a while. Leaning his head to the door he closed his eyes,

"Don't leave me..." he whispered.

——————————————————————————

1626 words