xli. metropolis

╭ ─┉───── • ─────┉─ ╮

xli.

metropolis

╰ ─┉───── • ─────┉─ ╯

Coruscant.

The Jewel of the Core Worlds.

The upperlevels of the bustling metropolis, that is.

The original homeworld of humanity, historically the home of the ancient Taung and Zhell.

The center for imperial activity, the home of the galactic empire. Covered in urban areas from the very depths of the underworld to the tips of the skyscrapers. An ecumenopolis. The imperial city was the center of the planet, everything else being built around it. Noted for its cosmopolitan culture and towering skyscrapers, Coruscant's population consisted of trillions of citizens hailing from a vast array of both humanoid and alien species.

Coruscant's prudent location at the end of several major trade routes enabled it to grow in power and influence, causing the city-planet to surpass its early rivals and become the hub of galactic culture, education, finance, fine arts, politics and technology. Coruscant continued to serve as galactic capital under the Empire, having become the Emperor's throne world, although Palpatine himself disappeared from public view for the most part, leaving the day-to-day governing to his advisors in the Imperial Ruling Council.

The imperial inspectorate headquarters loomed before the squadron as they prepared for their mission to infiltrate the facility. They had landed on a hidden landing pad not long before, so the empire wouldn't spot their ship. Hunter, Echo, Rex, and Howzer prepared for the mission by changing into their imperial disguises for the last time, while Gregor and Omega stayed on the ship in case something went wrong. The night on Coruscant was dark, with the vast cityscape being illuminated by a multitude of lights. The headquarters stood out even among the towering structures, a black monolith against the city's glow, the only lights being those white, blinding lights that pierced the eyes shining through the windows. The group of rogue clones crouched down in the shadow of a nearby building, finalizing their plan.

"We understand the plan, correct?" Rex asked the group, to which they nodded.

"Walk in and get the plans. What could go wrong?" Howzer said, asking the question in a sarcastic tone.

"It'll work," Echo tried to reason. "And if not, we'll escape like we always do."

Hunter, with his enhanced senses, scanned the perimeter one last time. "Alright, we're clear. Echo, you're up."

Echo, leveraging his extensive knowledge of Imperial systems, approached the first security terminal with his scomp link, ready to disarm the security systems. Within moments, he had bypassed the initial security protocols, disabling the outermost alarms and creating a temporary blind spot in the surveillance grid.

"We've got a five-minute window. Let's move," Echo said, looking back to the group, pointing to the entrance of the base.

The team quickly advanced to the main entrance, staying in the shadows. Hunter took the lead, his enhanced senses ensuring they avoided detection by patrolling stormtroopers. The clones moved with the precision and purpose that came from years of experience. Rex and Howzer kept a keen eye on their surroundings, ready to adapt or diverge their plan at a moment's notice.

When they entered the headquarters, they were greeted by the vast expanse of the main atrium. It has a high ceiling supported by sleek, black pillars that stretch upwards, giving the impression of a never ending ceiling. The floor is made of polished metal, reflecting the cold, artificial lights and further showed the empire's lack of care throughout their galaxy. Large banners were hung on the wall, bearing the imperial insignia and propaganda. Overhead, giant holoscreens display scrolling information about ongoing investigations, wanted criminals, and announcements from high-ranking officials. Upon reaching the main atrium's entrance, the squadron faced the first major obstacle. A heavily fortified blast door. Echo connected to a nearby control panel, overriding the door's security systems.