twelve

"You cannot go out there!" Aonung called for me as I called for Zia.
"What's going on?" Neteyam asked, his face worried from the yelling he would have heard, the entire village would have heard.
He looked relieved when he saw me.
"They took Lo'ak out beyond the reef. Tell your father." I wasted no time in diving in the water, my hand attaching to Zia's saddle as she dived deeper to get some momentum, she rose back up and flew out of the water, skimming it as she jumped over the reef.
"LO'AK!" I yelled and looked around, Zia chirping away as-well but he was nowhere to be seen.
"LO'AK!" I called again, no response.
I started to get further out before I noticed how rough the waves were getting, and it was about to hit eclipse.
"LO'AK!" I looked around, nothing.
"LO-"  I began when a Tulkun rose from the water, half his fin was gone, but on the other fin flew Lo'ak, who cheered as he somersaulted in the air, they landed back on the water and created a huge wave, nearly knocking away Zia and I.
Payakan.
My breathing hitched in my throat as I neared the two of them.
"Lo'ak!" I called and his ears perked up, he looked in my direction and stood up on top of Payakan, who moved forwards to me, I swam off Zia and placed a hand on Payakan.
"Thank Eywa you came, Aonung and his friends they-" Lo'ak started but I cut him off, hugging him tightly.
"He told me. I am sorry Lo'ak." I apologised and his hands wrapped around me.
"You do not have anything to apologise for."
I pulled back and rested my face against Payakan.
"Tsmukan, Irayo." Brother, Thank You.
I had heard the stories of Payakan, everyone had, but Lo'ak would have been dead in seconds if the story was true. I smiled as Payakan spoke back to me.
'He said you would come for him.'
I giggled and looked at Lo'ak.
"We should get back. The clan will be worried about you Lo'ak." I told him and he nodded.
" I will see you later." Lo'ak signed to him and I wrinkled my nose up.
"Yeah, we have to work on that."

"The boy has returned!" Tonowari announced as Zia stopped by the docks, Lo'ak swam off and gave me a hand, I patted Zia a goodbye and took his hand as we walked up the docks. He spotted Aonung and marched up to him, Jake and I quickly intervened.
"Easy." Jake warned him.
"Lo'ak." I tugged on his arm and he looked down at me, I shook my head and he looked up to Jake.
"I'll deal with this one." Jake sighed.
"No, the blame is ours." Tonowari forced Aonung down onto his knees and I looked at him.
"I apologise for my son."
"Again." He growled down at Aonung.
"Okay. Let's go." Jake patted his son and gave me a smile.
"Thank you Laya, for going to get him."
"It is no problem."
Once everyone had cleared off, Tsierya, Aonung and I sat with our heads down in Ronal and Tonowari's pod as they both scolded Aonung.
"You disappoint me." Tonowari hissed at him.
"Dad!" Tsierya tried to calm him down.
"If you step out of line once more, I will disown you." We all knew Tonowari was just being extra harsh, that he didn't mean anything he said, but It still hurt.
Aonung stormed out, I stood up.
"GET BACK HERE!" Tonowari yelled and Ronal set a hand on his shoulder.
"I will go." I bowed my head before following him out.
"AONUNG! WAIT!"
"Aonung!" I grabbed his hand to stop him and he spun around, I noticed there was tears in his eyes.
"I do not know what to do." He explained to me, throwing his hands down by his side, detaching my comfort from him, like he didn't think he deserved it, which could be arguable at times, but he was just a boy, under immense pressure from his family.
"Okay." I nodded and pursed my lips in thought.
"Help me Laya." He whispered, leaning his head to mine, I felt his tears drop onto my cheeks.
"I do not want to be like this." He shook his head and wiped away his tears. I pulled him into a hug and held him, letting him cry into me as we stood on the walkway.
"It is okay Aonung." I assured him.
"Tam Tam." There there. I guided him back to our pod where he laid down, sniffling to himself.
I knew he would hate himself in the morning for showing me his vulnerable side, but for now, I laid at my side of the room and fell asleep as soon as I heard silence from him.