ten

"Jake, please don't scold them. It was completely my fault, Aonung and his friends were picking on Kiri and then I got involved and then they started to pick on me. They were just protecting their sister. Please don't scold them Jake. I take full responsibility." I pleaded and Jake looked like he was torn between what to do.
"I will speak with Tonowari and let him know what happened. This is not their fault." I explained to him.
"Thank you Laya, where will you stay tonight?" He asked me.
"That does not matter." I shook my head.
"Yes it does. Dad tell her. Tell her she can't go back to him." Lo'ak looked at his dad.
"You have a space here. In our family. It is your decision." Jake nodded as Kiri applied some paste to my face.
"You're staying here." Lo'ak ordered.
"Lo'ak, it is okay." I nodded at him reassuringly and he shook his head, pacing back and fourth.
"Dad tell her! Please." Lo'ak pleaded.
"Lo'ak. Enough. She is to make her own decisions." Jake told him sternly and looked at me apologetically.
After I had somewhat healed the boys from their brawl, I made my way back to my marui to see Tonowari leaving, he had his hands clenched, he saw me and unclenched them, pulling me into his chest.
"My child, why didn't you tell me what he had done?" He murmured and I felt myself buckle as tears streamed down my face.
"I was scared." I explained.
"I know he is just stressed..." I whispered.
"Don't you dare make excuses for what he has done to you. He told me everything. He has been punished." Tonowari kissed my forehead and stroked my hair.
"Please never feel like you cannot tell me something." He pleaded before leaving.
I watched him leave before turning into my marui pod.
Aonung was sat there, applying paste around his body that was bleeding.
"Aonung. You have to wash the cuts first." I told him and dropped my basket on the floor, kneeing before him as I pulled him to sit down.
"I can do it." He hissed and slapped my hand away.
"Aonung."
He huffed and relaxed, letting me grab a bowl of water before bringing it back to him, grabbing a shell and washing the blood down on his body.
"I am sorry." I apologised.
"Do not apologise to me Laya. Do not." He warned and I kept quiet.
"This is all my fault. I have been so stressed, so pressured that I treated you in ways you should never have even been treated. I am so sorry." He mumbled.
I hesitated before shaking my head.
"Do not apologise to me Aonung. It is okay." I assured him.
"No. No it's not. None of my behaviour is acceptable. Please do not treat it like it is."
I looked up at him.
"I hate myself for what I have done to you, I am ashamed." He shook his head.
"I am not your enemy." I told him.
"I am sorry I've treated you like one." He mumbled.
"I am an ally for you."
"I know." He looked down ashamed and I took his arm in my hand, rubbing some paste over his wound as he tensed.
"Aonung, you are not your father. You are your own person."
"I just want to live up to him."
"You can. By being you."
"What if that's not enough?" He asked.
"All you can do is be you." I smiled.
"I am so sorry I hurt you." His hand brushed against my face.
"I will never forgive myself and i do not expect you to forgive me either." Aonung shook his head.
"I forgive you Aonung." I told him.
"Oel ngati kameie." He bowed his head.
"Oel ngati kameie Aonung."