nine

By the time I had gotten back to my marui pod, the sun was already rising, I had taken a very slow walk, with numerous stops as I thought about what Neytiri said, I felt trapped, like I didn't have the decision she was telling me I had the right to. That wasn't how it worked around here, and they took me in, how could I ever betray them like that? Even though I felt my heartstrings pull for someone else, by ruling, they belonged to Aonung's.
"Good morning." I mumbled as I entered our pod.
Aonung turned to me, he was peeling back some seeds and nuts.
"Where have you been?" He asked.
"I just went for a morning swim." I lied.
He stood up and walked over to me.
"You didn't come back last night."
"Did you stay with another?"
My breathing stopped, I scoffed and shook my head at his interrogation.
"I'm very tired Aonung, and I am not to put up with your silly behaviour today. Do not."
"Why are you tired?" He asked.
"I did not sleep."
"Did you stay with Lo'ak?"
"Lo'ak?" I spun around.
"I have seen the way he looks at you." Aonung said in a low tone.
"You are my mate. Act like it."
"When you give me respect, then I will act like it." I responded and he hissed, I backed away from him and called for Zia, diving into the water.

I spent the afternoon diving for shells and pearls for Tuk and I to make more bracelets, it was only when I came up to the bank that I had noticed Anoung, Rotxo, Tisil and Maro nearing Kiri in the water, who was minding her own business as she had been her entire stay.
"What is she doing?" Aonung asked.
"She's just staring at the sand." Rotxo laughed.
Kiri rose from the water and I let go of Zia, swimming over.
"What? What did you say?" Kiri asked cluelessly.
"Are you some sort of freak?" Aonung asked.
"He asked if you were a freak." Rotxo laughed and I snarled.
"No." She mumbled.
"Are you sure?" Aonung asked, putting his hands beside him.
"You're not real Na'vi." He added and tried to grab her hands.
"Look at these hands." He smirked, but she pulled away.
"I mean look at them!"
"MATU!" HEY! I yelled and Aonung spun around to look at me, i heard murmurs of his friends as I emerged from the water.
"Leave her alone Aonung." I hissed and placed her behind me.
"Why are you defending the freak?" He laughed.
"It is because she is one." Maro added.
"Enough Aonung." I told him.
"Leave us alone!" Kiri spoke from behind me.
Aonung grabbed me by my hair and his hand wrapped around my throat, squeezing it harshly.
"When will you learn?" He asked me.
"I am your leader." His hand rose and he slapped me across the face, hard.
I fell to my knees with my face turned to the ocean, Lo'ak emerged, looking angrier than ever.
"HEY! BACK OFF FISH LIPS." He shoved Aonung back and Kiri helped me to my feet, I held my hand to my face.
"Oh another five fingered freak." Aonung laughed.
"Little baby tail." Tisil cooed and I drew my hand from my face, slapping him in his face.
"Baby tai-"
"She just hit me." Tisil spat, turning to Aonung, who's fist clenched as he looked at me.
"I told you not to embarrass me." His hand went to grab my throat again but a hand reached in front of me, slapping it down.
"Is that how you treat your woman?" Lo'ak's back was all I could see in front of me.
"You don't deserve her." He rasped.
"I do not listen to the five fingered freak." Aonung beckoned.
"Leave us alone!" I hissed and Neteyam stormed up, dropping wet, his facial expression mirroring Lo'ak's.
"You heard what she said." He prodded Aonung's chest.
"Leave them alone."
Aonung tilted his head to look at me expectantly.
My ears flattened as I began to walk to him, Lo'ak's hand reached for me just as Neteyam's arm came out in front of me, he pushed me back lightly without even looking at me.
"Ah big brother come-" Maro spoke but Aonung stopped him, I sighed in relief.
"Back off. Now." Neteyam warned them.
Aonung put his hand up in defence.
"Smart choice, and from now on. I need you to respect my sister."
Neteyam spun around to face me, he held his head high as he turned around to face Aonung.
"And your soon to be mate."
Aonung's face hardened as he looked at me.
"She is not yours to worry about." Aonung announced.
"Let's go." Neteyam told his brother and sister.
I felt my heart sink, don't listen to them. Please.
"Laya. That's you too." Neteyam called and my ears perked up.
I went to follow them when Aonung stopped me, yanking my tail. I fell down onto the sand and turned around, he towered over me.
"You listen to me only." He ordered and was stumbled back by a blow to the face.
"It's called a punch bitch! Pick on someone your own size!" Lo'ak snapped.