Who's Ben, what does he want

ELIZA'S POV: THE MORNING OF THE BOOK CONVENTION

I was already on my way to Oxford. I was so so excited to be able to finally meet my favourite writer. Not only that, I was also meeting a new friend there. His name is Ben, I met him some time back, when I was on the train back to Kembleford. We agreed to meet up there, as we're both huge Agatha Christie fans. 

The most extraordinary thing about Ben are his mood swings. It can be scary though, when he's happy and suddenly something inconvient happens, and he gets all mad. And not just normal mad, I mean violent. He knows that it's a problem, and he's working on it, and i believe he's a good guy. 

Now back to the real world. The birds were singing and the sun was shining, i do love summer. I was wearing comfortable clothes, some jeans, a white T-shirt with a blue shirt over it. 

The wind softly blew in my face, my hair was going wild. The rousing of the trees and the sun shining on my face definitely enlightened me. It truely was a beautiful day. 

I must say, the bike wasn't that  bad. Sullivan did a good job repairing it. 

I had agreed to meet Ben in front of the building where the convention was being held. I was really looking forward to seeing him again, it's been too long.

TIME SKIP: SHE HAS JUST ARRIVED AT THE CONVENTION

I put my bike away, looking around hoping to spot Ben. He wasn't there yet, but i did notice a strangly familiar lookig car...i wonder who's it is...oh no, that couldn't be. 

The shiny black of the car with the sign "police " on it had me a bit worried, but maybe it was some random police officer that was attending the convention. 

I mean, it wouldn't bother me if Sullivan was the one attending the convention...it's just, after what happened yesterday i don't know if it's a good idea to meet each other so soon after.

'Elizabeth!' a deep voice shouted all of the sudden. Even before i turned around a grin appeared on my face. I was so excited to see Ben again, he's a good chap, and I like him.

I turned around and before i knew what was happening, two strong arms clinched onto me and held me tight to him.

'Ben', i laughed, 'stop it!' in the corner of my eye i spotted a man in a blue suit, unrecognizable though. He seemed to be looking at us, but he soon walked on. Strange, he must be thinking we're a couple... which we're not, on the country, he isn't my type at all.

He let go of me, finally. This is completly outragous, but i think i'm actually happy. I've found myself a new home, which i'm grateful for. I'm surrounded by the most amazing people ever. It's summer, and summer always heals my wounds. There's no more worrying, no more frustration  like in the beginning of my life in Kembleford. There's no more waking up at night, screaming and kicking. There's no more wondering if he likes me back or not, because he doesn't, and it hurt me, but it's been too long to cry about that. I'm happy, for the first time in a long time i feel like i've finally found my home. I'm happy nearly anywhere i go, but I feel like this is the place for me. 

Back to the actual world. 

We went inside and were both approximated by the spectacular view of books. They were not just books though, they were the best books to ever excist. Ones that they stopped selling a long, long time ago. 

'Ben...,' i grab his arm tightly,'i think we're in paradise'

'I thought you didn't believe', he smirked,' shut up will ya', i almost whispered still being overwhelmed and flustered by the view.

Everywhere i looked, there were books. Hundred of them, more even! There was this little book shop in the back, and a sort of library with famous books on my left hand side. On my right hand side, there were loads of chairs, and a stage, that's probably where we'll be sitting later on. 

'i'll find us something to drink', Ben said freeing himself from my grip.

I didn't hesitate for a second, off i was to the little (actually huge) library.

I wandered trough the bookcases, grabbing all sorts of books from differents shelves, and put them back after admiring the cover. I was not only suprised by the fact that some of these books were over a hundred years old, no, i was even more suprised by the fact that I was able, and allowed to hold them. Call me a freak, nerd, whatever, I don't care, books are one of my interests.

I was on my way back to the place where Ben and I had split up, still reading a book written by George orwell, when i dropped the book and immediatly panicked as it was one of the first copies of one of his earliest written books. I quickly picked it up, hoping no one would've seen it happen, but when i got up, my face hit someone's chest. I looked up, rather annoyed, as I had already recognized the smell of this strange figure.

'Pherhaps it'd be a good idea to leave those old books alone' he looked at me with a severe face, but i could sense the enjoyment he got out of this in his eyes.

Sullivan. 

Fecking inspector Sullivan.

'Maybe it'd be a good idea to leave me alone' He looked at me as he was about to walk right past me and ignore me for the rest of our lives. 

'Just joking old man, don't be too sensitive' without breaking eye contact, he took the book out of my hand and put it in the nearest bookcase, which was just next to us. His facial expression still hadn't changed.

'I was about to ask you if you wanted to sit next to my friend and I, but if that's gonna be your attitude all day, then forget it' I smiled knowing damn well he's even more annoyed now.

He was about to say something, when Ben interrupted. He threw his arm around me and held me tight. For a slight moment, I swear there was something about Sullivans face, a bit of jealousy or anger. As soon as he noticed I was looking at him, he put on his usual severe face on. 

'I don't think your friend', he said dissaproving,' and you need company' His lips formed a straight line.

There was this kind of tension between the two of them. As if there was a fight going on without any words. Ben who obviously thought he was some dusty old police officer, that always followed the law and would never, ever cross it. Then Sullivan, who seemed to think Ben was nothing more but scum who was trying to impress me. Both sides had it all wrong...well, Ben was the closest. 

'Alright, i'm tired of this silence, y'all are such losers, both of you' I laughed and walked away, without looking back. I'm pretty sure they were both still staring at each other as if they're two cowboys ready to whip out a gun and shoot each other.

'I'm Ben West', I heard him say,' Sullivan', they didn't sound as if it were a pleasure meeting each other.

TIME SKIP: THE CONVENTION HAS JUST STARTED: SULLIVAN'S POV:

Even though THE Agatha Christie was about 20 meters away from me, i couldn't pull my eyes away from Eliza. I still hadn't apologised about what happened yesterday, and even though she acted like she normally acts toward me, I can't seem to shake it off. I want to let her know that I didn't want her to go. 

I was sitting in the back, trying to decide if I should stay seated, or if I should go and sit next to Eliza. Which i would prefer.

Suddenly, i stood up and started walking toward the row Eliza was sitting. The voice in my head kept telling me how stupid this is, and how weak and soft it will make me look. And there she was, only 5 seats away from me. I hesitated, but still walked on, toward her.

I sat down next to her, she immediatly turned her head toward me, surprised, but her gaze softened when she saw it was me. I smiled a bit awkward, trying to make her as comfortable as i could. She smiled back, her eyes didn't tell me she hated me, they did the opposite. She seemed...happy, about the fact that I was there, next to her.

If she asks me why I decided to still sit next to her, i won't say it's because i wanted to be close to her, but i'll say it's because I don't like that friend of hers and want to look out for her. 

You're turning into a softie, Edgar. 

I don't know if i'm even capable of being one.