Chapter 26: Press Day

"How about I finally take you on a date tomorrow?" Stephen asked as you sat curled up into him on the couch, a detective movie playing in the background, most of the others asleep or having retreated to go do other tasks for the remainder of the night.

"I'll steal Tony's card if I can," you offered, as Stephen let out a chuckle shaking his head. "What? I'm serious. He has enough money to last an eternity."

"We're not that poor at the Sanctum," Stephen moved his arm to wrap around your shoulder, as you moved your head to lean on his chest.

"Why does Wong always ask me to buy him sandwiches, then?"

"He's on a budget," Stephen admitted to you making you laugh, "Considering that he can use a sling ring to portal anywhere, he still spends too much on food."

"Stephen Strange!" Dramatically gasping as you sat up and playfully hit his chest. "Are you suggesting that Wong should steal food?"

Stephen grabbed your hand, preventing you from hitting him anymore, "I was joking! I'm a superhero, I couldn't promote stealing!"

"Hey lovebirds," Tony greeted as he plopped down on a couch next to the one you sat on. "I have news."

"Wow, no shit Sherlock," you told him, rolling your eyes at how obvious he was. "What is it?"

"You're having your first press conference tomorrow," Tony looked at you, showing you an article with the time and schedule.

"News leaked that we had a new resident, Fury wants me to announce you so they stop prying."

"Gotta love eyepatch man," you rolled your eyes, guessing that your date would have to be pushed off to yet another day, "Although I do prefer him as Arnold."

"Do you really think this is fine?" You asked Stephen, turning and looking at every inch of your reflection in your mirror. "I feel like it's too little."

The f/c dress sparkled thanks to a special spell he had cast over it, your hair combed and ready, with minimal makeup to cover up some small blemishes.

"People are going to be impressed no matter how you look," Stephen told you, zipping up the back of the dress for you and smoothing out the back, dressed in his own formal suit with a dark red tie that was secretly the Cloak of Levitation.

"How'd you turn your cloak into that?" Wondering if you could do the same without practice.

Stephen opened a portal, pulling out a worn book that flipped to the correct page for him, handing it to you, "Simple incantation."

Whistling your own cloak flew to your shoulders, one of your hands automatically going up to stroke it, muttering the incantation before it transformed into an f/c necklace around your neck.

Stephen narrowed his eyes, "You're getting faster."

"I'm also over a hundred years old," you quipped back, playfully smacking his shoulder. "Of course, I'm going to learn fast."

Stephen rolled his eyes, leaving your side to go open up your bedroom door gesturing for you to walk through.

"Gentleman," you smirked, curtsying in front of him before walking out.

Stephen placed his hands on your waist, whispering in your ear, "Princess."

Feeling your face become flushed you tried to brush the comment off, huffing and breaking away from his grasp as he tried not to smile at your reaction.

Walking into the common room, almost everyone was there and ready, the girls wearing gorgeous dresses as the men wore their formal armor or tuxedos. The only ones missing were Pepper and Tony, going early to set up the event and talk to the press individually.

"Everyone better be ready or we're leaving without you," Stephen grumbled as your arm found its way wrapped around his.

"Oh, shush," you scolded him, sending the others a smile to try and make up for the grumpiness of the sorcerer.

Walking through the portal you were met with a bright white light, the flashes of multiple cameras not helping at all.

Reporters shouted questions from almost every angle of the room as you held up your free hand to try and block out the camera flashes.

Looking towards the stage in the center of the room, you saw Tony motioning you over.

Walking up next to him, arm still latched with Stephen's, you quickly remembered, turning around quickly, "Do you want to go public?"

"It's up to you," Stephen shrugged,
"We're both powerful enough that we can handle anything that goes wrong."

Tony began speaking into the microphone, droning on about the press conference, before turning towards you, "And now our newest Avenger!"

Walking towards the mic you smiled nervously, leaving Stephen's grasp as the camera flashes somehow increased.

"Karen Page here, reporter for the New York Bulletin, can you tell us your name?" A blonde woman reporter asked closest to the stage as she held her pen and notepad.

"Y/N L/N," you told the press, making sure that a smile never left your face.

"What's your hero name?" Another reporter shouted from the distance.

Stephen, do you think they'll get mad at me?

No.

Mind made up, you decided to entertain the masses, after all a little magic trick never hurt anyone. Holding out a manicured hand, the generosity of Pepper, the lights in the room went out one by one. The room completely black, mostly silent, you brought your hands together, breaking them apart to send balls of light at each corner, "I am the Enchantress."

"Master of the elements," bringing back the natural lights, you sent a gust of wind to surround you and lift you a few feet into the air, "keeper of magic." Vines grew from the stage around you, forming a perfect circle around your feet.

The crowd was shocked, the lone sound of Tony clapping filling the room as he walked forward speaking into the mic,
"Ms. L/N will take more questions now."

A few pointless ones were asked, mostly about where you were from and your background before a younger reporter finally asked, "What is the relationship between you and Doctor Strange?"

"We're together," you turned to smile at Stephen who kept a neutral face but telepathically was supporting you and letting you know he was happy.

Question after question was asked, mostly about what you planned to do with the team although everyone was warned not to mention Hydra in any way.

Meeting the end, your eyes began to scan the room as questions began to be directed at the other Avengers about you.

A glimpse of silver hair caught your eye, but blinking and looking again it wasn't there.

What did you see?

I thought I saw someone, from Hydra. Shaking your head you pushed it away, knowing your mind must have been hallucinating.

Who?

No one.

Pushing the thought aside, you threw on a happy smile again, looking good for the press, before your peripheral caught it, the silver haired woman standing at the entrance to the auditorium.

My new personality trait is hating Netflix for cancelling Inside Job