Sibling Bonds

Early the next morning Mouse and Kat are waiting in the clinic. Kat keeps wringing her hands and Mouse takes them into his, smiling at her. Bobby calls them into an exam room and Kat takes a deep breath, standing on shaky legs. She's so nervous her heart is racing. She's afraid they're wrong and Mouse will be disappointed.

"So, I hear you've been experiencing some nausea since yesterday?" Bobby asks grinning and sitting on the stool. He cocks his head, watching Kat take a seat and Mouse take a deep quiet breath before sitting beside her. "I take it, it's been nearly a week since... you've become intimate?" Kat blushes and nods. "Were you in heat? Or, were you in rut?"

"Uhm, I'm not sure." Kat says, biting her lip. "My heat has always been pretty mild compared to others and, it was our first time together." She blushes, trying not to look at Mouse. "I thought, it just seemed like my heat because I was so excited." She groans and covers her face, Mouse chuckling and pulling her close.

"You weren't the only one excited." Mouse whispers and she peeks through her fingers smiling.

"So, let's start with a urine test." Bobby grins, handing Kat a cup. "If it's positive, we can try an ultrasound. Although, it may be to early to detect visually." Mouse notices an odd look on his face as Kat takes the cup and hurries into the bathroom.

"You're worried about something." Mouse says after the bathroom door closes. "But, this isn't the first inner species pregnancy." He frowns, looking worriedly toward the bathroom and his mate.

"Let's wait a bit." Bobby says, giving his best reassuring smile. Kat returns, unable to look him in the eye. "What's wrong?"

"It's weird giving you this." Kat says, handing him a cup of her urine unable to meet his eyes.

"Don't be silly." Bobby says, placing the cup down and pulling out a pregnancy test kit. He places several drops on the strip and leans back. "The result will take a couple of minutes. So, how are you feeling otherwise?" Kat blinks, pulled onto Mouse's lap as Bobby grins. "Any fatigue, dizziness, tenderness of the breasts, swelling?"

"Oh." Kat bites her lip, grinning at Mouse. "I have been a bit more tired the past couple of days. I just thought, you were keeping me up to late at night. Oh gosh!" She buries her face in Mouse's shoulder, realizing she said that out loud.

"And you did say yesterday, that your nipples were sore baby." Mouse grins, glancing over at Bobby looking at the test. A broad smile spreads on Bobby's face as he turns toward them. "It's positive?" He asks excitedly.

"Mn, congratulations!" Bobby says, watching them turn and smile at each other. Mouse wipes a tear from Kat's cheek and Bobby clears his throat gaining their attention. "I'd like to try an ultrasound. I don't want to worry you, but this a new territory for us all."

"But, Bonnie is a hybrid. Did Hailey have a difficult pregnancy?" Kat asks, her hand protectively on her stomach.

"No, her pregnancy was rather normal. The thing is, you're a lycan. Your pregnancy is naturally two to three months shorter than a clan members." He sighs, looking from Kat to Mouse. "But, your baby is half clan. There's no telling what the rate of growth will be."

"You mean, even if I carry to term, our baby could essentially be born prematurely." Kat's bottom lip quivers as she looks at Mouse.

"So, let's get an ultrasound." Bobby says, patting the exam table with a soft smile. "Chances are, if we can detect the pregnancy at this stage via ultrasound... your baby will continue to develop at a lycan rate." Kat gasps, Mouse picking her up and carrying her to the table. He lays her down gently and takes her hand. "You'll need to lower your waistband a bit and relax. We'll do everything we can to help you have a healthy baby."