Chapter 10 - Reunited

Supreme Intelligence Temple, Hala, Capital of Kree Civilization - April 2025

Zogg-Larn walked quickly up the steps of the Supreme Intelligence Temple. It was quite early in the morning when Supreme Intelligence summoned him through his communicator. He wondered if there was some kind of emergency. He hoped not. He was hoping to get a bit of rest that day after a particularly tiring mission the other day. But everything seemed to point to a different outcome for that day.

He took a deep breath as he arrived in the center of the temple. He stepped on the hexagonal shape on the floor and soon strings of blue light came out of the floor and connected to his temple and fingers.

When he opened his eyes he saw himself, but older and with greying hair. Yes, he admired no one else but himself. It was fitting too. He was the best General in the Kree military. No other Kree was as good as he was.

"Supreme Intelligence." Zogg-Larn bowed in respect.

"Zogg-Larn. I just received a footage from our spy on earth. I want to show it to you and you can tell me whether you see what I see." Supreme Intelligence said coldly, staring at Zogg-Larn with piercing blue eyes. He seemed to be trying hard to contain his anger. Zogg-Larn's heart started to beat faster in his chest. He wondered if he did something wrong that had upset Supreme Intelligence. He didn't say anything but just nodded.

Supreme Intelligence swiped his hand in front of him and suddenly a scene from what seemed to be an event on earth appeared. Zogg-Larn studied the earthlings on the screen, wondering what Supreme Intelligence was trying to show him. Male and female earthlings graced the screen wearing beautiful clothes. In the background was a large picture of earth's heroes, The Avengers. The earthlings seemed to be taking pictures in front of it. Suddenly he noticed someone among the earthlings. Someone who was supposed to be dead. James Buchanan Barnes! How could he still be alive?! He saw with his own eyes that his laser shot had left a hole on his chest, leaving him dead. He was sure he was dead when he left him.

"So, Zogg-Larn. Can you tell me what you see?" Supreme Intelligence asked.

"Supreme Intelligence. I see James Buchanan Barnes." he replied, his head bowed in shame.

"Yes, I see him too. You told me he was dead Zogg-Larn. If he was dead, then why is he still there?!" Supreme Intelligence gestured his hand towards the screen, his voice raised in anger.

"I'm sorry Supreme Intelligence. I.. I sent you the scan of the man I killed. He looked just like James Buchanan Barnes. So I thought it was him that I killed. But it seems I have mistaken." Zogg-Larn said, cowering in fear.

Supreme Intelligence could be so cruel in giving punishments to anyone who made a mistake. But it was him who usually was the executioner of the punishment, not the one receiving the punishment. So it shocked him that he finally did something wrong. He didn't think he could tarnish his perfect reputation.

"You have mistaken indeed Zogg-Larn. You have disappointed me greatly." Supreme Intelligence said as he swiped his hand and the scene in front of them disappeared.

"I deeply apologize, Supreme Intelligence. I was in error." Zogg-Larn said as he knelt on the floor and bowed his head.

"All these years you have never failed me Zogg-Larn. You always deliver on what I asked of you to do. And you did them without question. Which I appreciate. That's why I'm giving you a second chance. Find James Buchanan Barnes and really kill him this time. Bring his dead body to me. If the person you killed really is James Buchanan Barnes, then I'll accept your apology and you can continue to be my executioner. But if you fail, be prepared to be the hunted for the first time in your life." Supreme Intelligence threatened as he pulled Zogg-Larn's chin up to face him.