Chapter 8

So I decided to post again today! I am very excited because of 4 reasons!

1. I get to see Norman Reedus in 18 freaking days!

2. I just figured out I became an Ambassador for my school (Power to the nerds! :P)

3. The doctors said there is nothing wrong with my heart. (Long story behind that.)

4. Did I mention I get to see Norman Reedus in 18 freaking days?!

--

When I woke up I was still in the truck. My bag was under my head and a thin blanket was thrown over me. I stood up and stretched my now aching body. The floor in the truck definitely wasn't comfortable. I went to the front of the truck and looked out the window.

The sun was beginning to rise. So I slept through the night. Why didn't anyone wake me up when we got back to camp? I went to the back and lifted up the sliding door and jumped down. I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder and started walking towards camp.

The smell is what hit me first. I knew that smell and it made my feet move quicker. I didn't hear any screams which made me feel slightly better. I finally got to the RV and looked around. There were dead walkers everywhere. Well at least they were dead.

Dale was sitting on top of the RV. The rest of the group minus Daryl, Andrea and Amy were all huddled around the small fire together, even Carol and Sophia. I heard crying and looked to my right. Andrea was leaning over a body. I got a closer look and noticed it was Amy.

What in the hell did I miss? I dropped my bag and slowly walked towards the group at the fire. Before I could even say anything Rick spoke up. "When we got back to camp we heard the screams. We quickly went to help and Daryl left you in the truck." At the mention of Daryl's name I felt myself tense. "Don't worry, he's in his tent."

I sighed and made my way towards Daryl's tent. How do you let someone know you're in front of their tent and want to come in with really no door? I didn't want to speak, but I didn't want to just walk in either. I picked up a small rock and chucked it at the tent door.

"Go away," I heard him grumble. Well at least he was awake. I opened the zipper and poked my head in. "What part of go away don't y'all understand?" his back was to me but when he turned around and noticed it was me his face fell. "Oh, it's you."

"Oh, it's you? You sound so happy to see me," I scoffed. He rubbed a hand over his face. "Sorry," he mumbled. I sat down on a sleeping bag, I assumed it was Merle's and looked up at him. He was still covered in dirt, mud, and now walker blood.

"You look like hell," I commented. I heard him let out a small chuckle and he sat down across from me. "What happened?" I asked him. He rubbed his bottom lip with his finger but stopped himself quickly when he noticed what he was doing. "They had this coming."

Now I was really confused. "What do you mean?" I asked him. He sighed and clenched his fists together. "They left my brother for dead, they had this coming," he grumbled. I slid over to him and placed a hand on his arm causing him to look up at me.

"You don't mean that," I said. He grunted in response. "Actually I do. Karma's a bitch," I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "The camp was full of walkers," he started, "the rest of the group went ahead to help, but I waited until I knew you would be safe," he said quietly.

I played with my hands nervously. "I would've been fine. All you had to do was shut the doors. The walkers wouldn't have the strength to get them open and if we had to leave at least I already would have been in a car," I said. Daryl groaned and flopped back with his hands behind his head.

"I wouldn't forgive myself if something would have happened to you," he said. I looked over at him and sighed. "You're with a group now. You can't just worry about me," I said. Daryl rose up a little and looked at me. "You're so full of it," he said.

I laid back beside him, and propped myself up on one elbow to face him. "You can't always be my hero," I whispered. He turned his head to look at me. His eyes looked lost like he didn't know what to say. He leaned over top of me and got close.

I knew what he was doing this was another one of his games. He would get as close to kissing me as possible and see if I would push him back or not. He was centimeters away from me. "I can try," he murmured before connecting his lips to mine.

Well damn. I guess I was wrong. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. His lips fit perfectly with mine. My fingers knotted in his hair as he wrapped his arms around my waist deepening the kiss. "Daryl," I knew it was Rick. Daryl pulled back abruptly like hearing Rick had brought him back to reality.

He rolled off of me. "What?" he answered gruffly. I heard Rick sigh and I knew he was biting his tongue not to lash out at Daryl. "We need your help with the bodies," he said. Daryl grunted and Rick walked away. I touched my lips lightly thinking about what just happened.

"Dammit," Daryl cursed at the interruption. He stood up and looked down at me. "You coming?" he asked before walking out. I slowly walked out of Daryl's tent and made my way to the group who were starting to move bodies. Daryl was taking a pickaxe to their heads making sure they didn't come back.

After Glenn having an emotional breakdown about burying our people we were all pretty quiet. "A walker got him. A walker bit Jim!" we all turned to see Jacqui frantically moving away from Jim. "Show it to us," Daryl yelled while stalking towards Jim.

Jim quickly grabbed a shovel to defend himself and this wasn't looking good. "Somebody grab him!" I ordered. T-Dog dropped what he was doing and grabbed Jim's arms from behind. Daryl lifted Jim's shirt to reveal a perfect bite mark on Jim's stomach. Daryl stalked away as Jim said over and over "I'm okay. I'm okay."

I walked over to Daryl who grabbed the pickaxe and started walking towards the group. "I vote we put a pickaxe in his head and the dead girls and be done with it," Daryl growled. I tried to calm him down by placing a hand on his arm but he shrugged me off.

I couldn't help but agree with him though. "Would you want that, if that was you?" Shane asked while crossing his arm. "Yeah," Daryl and I said at the same time, "and I'd thank you while you did it," Daryl continued. "I never thought I'd say it but maybe Daryl's right," Dale said.

I think we were all a little shocked by Dale speaking up. "He's not a rabid animal Dale," Rick stated. Dale rung his hat between his hands. "I know. But-," "But nothing," Rick said cutting him off, "what about the CDC? Maybe they have a cure, that's what I heard, what do you think?" he asked Shane.

Shane ran his boot through the dirt. "I heard a lot of things when the world went to shit and then the broadcasts stopped," Shane scoffed. Daryl shifted the pickaxe in his hand and looked out of the corner of his eye at me. "You go looking for aspirin, do what you need to do. Someone needs to have some balls to take care of this damn problem!" he yelled while starting after Jim.

Rick, Shane and I took after Daryl. I put myself between Daryl and Jim and placed a hand on Daryl's chest. I flinched when I saw the pickaxe mid swing. I was waiting for the impact but it never came. I heard the cock of a gun and looked up to see Rick once again holding his gun to Daryl's temple. "We don't kill the living."

Daryl scoffed and looked down at me. "That's funny coming from the man who's pointed a gun at my head....twice," Daryl scoffed again. I looked at him with pleading eyes hoping he would get the message to not make this worse. Shane put a hand on the pickaxe and lowered it slightly.

"I don't agree with a lot of things Rick says, but this is one of them. Now go on put it down," Shane said. Daryl looked back at me before slamming the pickaxe into the ground and stalking off. I looked at Rick and Shane who looked grateful that silently I had managed to stop Daryl.

They both grabbed Jim under the arms. "Where are you taking me?" Jim asked. I could hear the shake in his voice. "Somewhere safe," Rick stated. He looked over at me and Shane. "It's settled we'll pull up stakes in the morning and head for the CDC. I'll let the group know after we get Jim settled in the RV." I shook my head and set out to find Daryl knowing he wouldn't be around to hear it.

--

They kissed! Awe snap! Comment, vote, follow!!! XOXO Jess