Chapter 9

I found Daryl rummaging through his truck looking for God knows what. I slowly walked up to him and tapped on the side of his truck causing him to jump and look up at me. I held up my hands. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you," I said. Daryl grunted and continued to look in his truck.

"Something I can help ya with?" he asked gruffly. I rolled my eyes. He was the most bipolar person I know. First he kissed me and wanted to act like we were together again and now he's back to being pissed. "Just wanted to let you know we're heading to the CDC tomorrow."

Daryl scoffed. "The CDC's a bust, even you know that," I shook my head. "I know but I'm not dumb enough to tell anyone that," the words just flew out of my mouth and I automatically regretted it. Daryl stopped looking in his truck he spun around and glared down at me.

"What did you just say to me?" he asked through clenched teeth. I felt my breath catch in my throat. I didn't want him mad at me. "Sorry. I just-I...sorry," I looked down and my shoes became interesting all of the sudden. Daryl's placed a finger under my chin and made me look at him.

"Sorry," he grumbled. He doesn't apologize to just anyone so I took advantage of it. I sighed and shook my head. "S'okay just don't understand why you're so upset," he scoffed. "I'm not upset. These people just don't know what they're doing," I shrugged. "That's why Rick's the leader," Daryl scoffed again. "Rick looks to Shane."

My eyes went wide as I pondered over what he had just said. He had a point the more I thought about it. It was always Rick and Shane talking about the group's next move and Shane always won except this time. "You have a point," I said quietly. Daryl chuckled. "When do I not?"

I snorted. "You're full of yourself." Daryl looked down at me and smirked. I sighed when I saw it. Truthfully I hated it, but it was also the smirk I fell in love with. He broke his gaze from me and turned around to go back to rummaging through the truck.

"What are you looking for?" I asked him curiously. Daryl turned around for a second to look at me. "My smokes," he said before turning around to look in the truck again. I chuckled and started heading towards the RV where I left my bag earlier. "Where are you going?"

I waved a hand behind me at Daryl and went to retrieve my bag. I smirked when I picked it up and walked back over to him. He had stopped rummaging through his truck and now he was leaning against the open door watching me. I slowly walked back over to him and sat my bag down in the driver's seat. I unzipped it and started going through it.

"What are you doing?" Daryl asked while peering over my shoulder. I nudged him backwards with my elbow lightly and continued looking through my bag until I found what I was looking for. I turned around to Daryl and shoved two cartons of cigarettes in his hand along with a couple lighters.

Daryl looked down and his eyes seemed to light up like it was Christmas morning. "Where did you get these?" he asked me while flipping the cartons over in his hands. I smiled a little. "I got them on the last run before...well yeah," my voice trailed off not wanting to tear open the fresh wound of Merle being left behind and cutting off his own hand.

Daryl looked over at me with a glum look and nodded slightly catching on to what I meant. He quickly opened one of the cartons and removed a pack. He quickly took a cigarette out and lit it up taking a long drag. He sighed happily and leaned against the door.

I threw my bag over my shoulder and looked up at him. He offered the cigarette to me, but I shook my head. I wasn't really in the mood for one right now. "I could kiss you right now," he breathed while taking another drag of the cigarette. I smirked up at him and got closer.

"What's stopping you?" I asked while tilting my head up towards him. Daryl wasn't even looking at me at this point. He was looking over my head. I turned around to see Glen standing there starring at us. I groaned. "Take a picture it will last longer," I yelled over at Glenn.