- I agree with you, Alpha. – Gregory says, surprising me. – Caleb has proven himself repeatedly that he's the best this pack has to offer, alongside Nymeria of course. Their marriage makes sense, we would only strengthen the Alpha line and the pack. – he finals.

What is going on? I can't believe my ears. My dad suggested I marry Nymeria. Why would he do that? He knows my heart is set on Beta, well... at least it was before meeting Nathan. Why does he want me to become Alpha? I don't want that. And now Gregory supports the idea. This is all happening too fast, and I can't find the words to speak and stop everything from escalating.

- Gregory, you can't be serious. – Convel questions harshly.

- That you don't like Caleb because he's better than Dyrus is your problem, Convel, not the pack's. Nymeria can choose her lover and she chose the best. I'm sure the pack will be safe and grow stronger with them in charge. – he states firmly. The beta looks angry at his remark but doesn't talk back.

The room falls silent for some seconds. The council members considered the idea deeply. Lawrence and Convel aren't convinced, but Gregory supports the idea 100%. I don't know what to do, I'm paralyzed.

- I would've preferred to discuss this with more time. – Lawrence says calmly. – But I can't argue with Gregory. Caleb is the strongest male in his generation. He already defeated an Elite with only 19 years and has participated in multiple raids before... - he stops, bringing his hands to his chin. – More importantly, our future Alpha accepts him as a mate. I guess I agree with the decision. Not that you need my permission, of course, Alpha Alaric. – he says respectfully.

- Your council will always be valued, Lawrence. Your approval means a lot. – Alaric says kindly and turns to Convel expectantly.

The beta looks at me carefully, then turn to my father and finally looks at Nymeria. He sighs before speaking.

- Caleb is a strong werewolf. I may not like him, but he does care for the pack. I'll follow you two anywhere, just as I have followed Alaric. – he tells Nymeria and me seriously.

- Thank you, Convel. – Nymeria responds nicely.

- Good. – Alaric says in his baritone voice. – What do you say, Caleb? – he asks me calmly as if I have an option. They just decided in front of me.

- I... - my voice comes shakily so I stop and clear my throat. – I... can't. – the words leave my mouth nervously.

- What do you mean? – Alaric asks firmly.

- Caleb what are you saying? – my dad says, making me turn around.

- I... I don't mean any disrespect, but I can't marry Nymeria. – I say, my nerves are killing me.

- Why? – my dad asks.

- I found my mate. – I admit. Alaric sighs in front of me deeply, clearly frustrated.

- Your mate? What do you mean? You never said anything. – my dad exclaims embarrassed.

He's embarrassed?! I'm the one who should be embarrassed, he went behind my back and organized something I never wanted to be a part of. It upsets me a little about his reaction.

- I've been meaning to tell you, but you were always working and... -

- Have you mated? – Alaric questions, interrupting abruptly.

- No, we wanted to... -

- Then it's not a problem. – Lawrence interrupts this time. – The mate bond hasn't strengthened. The ceremony will mate bond Nymeria and you, don't worry. – he says so dismissively.