6 - A Warm Welcome

Noah was finally coming to my house today for the assignment.

"You finally made a new friend, Sadie. Congratulations," Ivan teased me.

"Please, Ivan, not this time. He's just coming for an assignment," I replied, trying to brush off Ivan's playful jabs. Over time, Ivan and I had grown closer. Initially, when he and Ivy first moved in with us, it was a bit challenging for both of us, considering we were both only children. But now, we were like real siblings, so Ivan never missed a chance to tease me.

When I told them about Noah coming to our house, they all seemed more excited than I was, especially Ivy. She knew how much I disliked boys, so it was a bit shocking for her. Ruby even lent me four dresses to try on and choose one for the occasion. I was excited, but also a little nervous.

As I waited for Noah's arrival, Ruby insisted that everyone else go out and enjoy themselves while I completed my assignment. The doorbell rang, and I knew it was Noah. Opening the door with a smile, I welcomed him inside.

"Hey, Sadie," Noah greeted me warmly, holding out a bouquet of fresh lilies.

"Thanks, Noah. Though there was no need for these," I replied, accepting the flowers and placing them in a vase near the door.

"I'm coming to your house for the first time, so I didn't want to come empty-handed," Noah explained.

"Thank you for that. But why lilies? I like them, just how did you know?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Honestly, I didn't know. I was thinking about roses at first, but then I remembered your name—well, your middle name, Sadie Lily Williams. So the idea came from there," Noah replied with a sheepish grin.

"Right. I'm glad someone remembered that I have a middle name," I said, smiling back.

"I will always remember your middle name, Sadie Lily Williams," Noah said, and I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. Before he could notice, I quickly turned my head and said, "So now, let's focus on our assignment, because that's what you're here for."

"Right, the history assignment," Noah agreed, and we made our way upstairs to my room.

"This is my room. I know it's so pink for my age. I want to get it redone, but I don't know what to say to anyone about it," I explained to Noah, knowing that he would understand my dilemma.

"They're your family, Sadie. You're not related by blood, but you always say that Ivan loves you like his sister. Ruby likes you a lot, and Ivy has been your friend for so long. Yes, none of them are your parents, but that's a good thing. Ivy never replaced your mother; she created her own space. You should be happy to have a family like that, Sadie," Noah said, surprising me with his insight. It made me wonder about his own family situation. He never really opened up about them.

"Yeah, you're right. I should be able to be open with them, tell them how I feel. Thank you, Noah. If you don't mind, can I ask you something?" I said, feeling a sense of gratitude towards him.

"No need for thank you, Sadie. And yes, please ask," Noah replied warmly.

"You never really talk about your family. I mean, we've talked about everything else from colors to ice cream flavors, but you never mentioned your family. It's okay if you don't want to talk about them. I understand it may be a sensitive topic for you," I said, trying to broach the subject gently.

"It is a sensitive topic for me, yes. I know I never talked about them. You were having troubles of your own, so I just didn't want to, like, pressure you with everything," Noah explained.

"No, Noah. Nothing like that will happen. Yes, I'm dealing with my own problems, but I want to be there for you. Every listener needs a listener too, Noah," I assured him.

"Okay. So I'm not really close with my family. My parents are all about money, and they often fight over it. I was close with my mother, but I don't know what happened; she just changed. She used to care about me, but now it's all about money, clothes, and luxury. And Addy, Adelaide, my sister, is following in her footsteps. They're just my family by name. If I could, I would have left them by now. I spend most of my nights at either Liam's or Carter's," Noah confessed, his voice tinged with sadness.

"I'm sorry about that, Noah. I don't know how that feels, but yes, I understand it's not easy for you. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'll always be there for you. Remember that," I said, offering him my support.

"Thanks, Sadie," Noah replied softly, and I sensed that he didn't want to dwell on the topic any longer. So, I decided to change the subject.

"Now, let's focus on this boring assignment. I left my laptop downstairs. I'll be back in 2 minutes," I said, heading downstairs as quickly as I could, leaving Noah to his own devices for a moment.