"Can I be honest?"

Gabriel nods. "Of course."

I inhale and glance out at the still lake, at least it will give me a small sense of calm. "I guess I feel slightly isolated here sometimes because I don't have any friends, I can't leave and Lonzo fucking hates me. Mum and dad haven't bothered to call and everything just feels like a shit show."

"Lex," his voice is low, quiet. "Why didn't you say something?"

"You're busy," I admit. "And it's fine but some days are just a little... exhausting. Even Harriet doesn't want to speak to me, that's how bad it is."

Gabriel's lip flicks upwards. "Harriet has been told to work not talk by Lonzo."

I roll my eyes. "She's not a fucking robot." I mumble under my breath.

"I know," he agrees. "I'm sorry about mum and dad. They've not made the effort and it's shitty from them but I presume they're sorting out the mess they've caused."

"They didn't even wish me a happy birthday."

Gabriel's dark eyes falter for a second. "I'm sorry, Lex."

"Don't apologise for them," I chew on my lip and ignore the anchor that sinks inside me. "They probably didn't even remember, nor do they care. I wish I got out when I had the chance. I hate myself for not leaving before shit got bad."

He places a supportive hand on my knee. "I wish things worked out better for you but they will get better."

"Will they?"

Gabriel swallows as he watches my expression. "Soon," he promises but I don't believe him. "But for the meantime. I promise to take you out more, get you out of this house when I can. It won't be like this forever, one day you're going to soar and forget about this time in your life."

"One day."

He nods confidently. "One day, Lex. You're gonna make us proud."

"By proud do you only mean yourself?"

Gabriel stifles a short laugh. "Even if it's only me, it should mean everything."

"Thanks Gabriel," I grab my glasses again. "Remind me to come to you for moral support."

He claps another hand over my shoulder and stands from the chair. "I've got to head out and won't be back till later. Need to check on something for Lonzo. Are you gonna be okay?"

I force a sarcastic smile. "Yep. Just me and these riveting books."

This time he ruffles my hair like we're children and I swat his hand away. "Study well, I know you're going to ace all of your tests. That's why everyone always called you the brainy one and me the thick as shit sibling."

"You weren't thick," I shake my head towards him. "You were smart, you just chose crime over education."

Gabriel laughs loudly, it echoes across the back porch and it seems so familiar that a part of me relaxes inside. This might not be my home but with my brother never far, it's like a home from home in a strange way.

"The bad life chose me, sis." He says with a cunning smile.

My eyes roll. "Yeah, yeah."

"I'll see you later."

"Bye," I wave him off before facing my work again. When his footsteps echo into nothing I chew down on my lip and glance across the breathtaking scenery again.

I hope he's right. It won't be forever.

✧✧✧

Once I'm done with studying I head downstairs to the kitchen and make myself a smoothie. I try making small talk with Harriet but she yet again ignores me. I frown at her bluntness but I guess she doesn't want to get on the bad side of Lonzo.