25. Duelling a Coward (Ozai the Low Life)

A/N: Happy New Year to you all! Hope you're having a great start to the year! I'm wishing you all the best of luck for everything to come. I'm glad I managed to get this out as I've been busy with birthday events recently, so I hope you enjoy!!

Percy uncapped his sword as soon as he heard the lightning. He gave himself one last moment to look back at the princess, trapped against the wall with a broken sadness in her eyes, before he forged on towards the sounds of fighting ahead.

The kids had managed to push most of the way through, but a few Dai Li remained. The group looked demoralised. Echoes of the electric bolt reverberated around them all.

The eclipse has very much ended.

The demigod pulled some of the minimal water around him and pushed it out, exploding the agents away from the kids. They all turned to him in resignation.

"Did you find out about Suki?" Sokka asked, and all Percy could do was shake his head.

It wasn't that he'd completely forgotten about her, but he just couldn't bring himself to talk about anything else with the princess.

"Azula was ready for us. She had back up plans for our every move." Toph said.

"And now it's too late." Sokka looked down.

"Maybe it's not." Aang said. "I could still face him, even with the eclipse over."

At the mention of the Fire Lord, Percy's blood began to boil more. Toph looked at him worriedly as the rest of them felt the ground shift slightly. He took a deep breath in. The deliberating continued, albeit warily.

"No. I don't think that's a good idea."

"No, it isn't." Percy growled.

He saw the bronze light bouncing from his sword, eerily flickering off his surroundings. The demigod could only imagine what his face looked like based on the reactions of those around him. All of them, except for Toph, seemed to shift a little away from him. He didn't particularly care.

"You all need to get out of here, because I'm going to face him."

The anger in his voice left the group stunned for a few seconds.

"What? No, Percy, everyone is counting on me. Let me help you." The Avatar requested.

"He knows you're coming." Toph said to them both. "We need to go out and help our friends."

"I know." Percy interrupted whatever Aang was going to say. "So I'll be a distraction, and hopefully I can get the chance to end him."

The demigod looked on towards the room in front of him.

"Percy, you can't- You can't kill." Aang exclaimed.

"No, Aang. You can't. I can. And he deserves it." His tone darkening.

The rest of them seemed to realise that they weren't going to be able to talk him out of it, although Katara was a little more hesitant to leave him behind.

"You all go back and find Appa. Get out and help the invasion forces retreat in case I don't get that opportunity. I'll make sure to keep their attention."

They all nodded and started running back through the tunnels behind Toph. Percy turned to where he knew Ozai was.

Not here. Not where I could blow everything up so easily, and not where I can't help them all get out in case I do.

"Ozai! You filth!" He bellowed down the hallway. "Let's see what you can do when you fight someone who actually wants to fight back!"

He stalked away, still seething. The demigod came upon Azula's room to see that she was free from the ice. He met her golden gaze again before continuing through without a word.