Chapter 3 - Epiphany (Edited)

________________________________

"Only twenty minutes to sleep. But you dream of some epiphany. Just one single glimpse of relief, too make some sense of what you've seen"
- Taylor Swift
_______________________________

Jess's P.O.V

I woke up to Alex's hand brushing the loose strands of hair from my face. I opened my tired eyes and smiled at Alex. I turned around and looked up at the roof. I closed my eyes and sighed.

I slowly sat up, looking down at Alex who had closed his eyes again, his breathing falling into an easy rhythm. I looked around the room, my dress was flung onto the dresser, my shoes were beside the king sized bed.

I threw my legs over the bed and walked over silently to the closet and grabbed a pair of leggings and a hoodie. I silently left the room and headed downstairs.

...

Grayson was in the dining room when I got there. I stopped in my tracks when I saw him, I began to turn around but he looked up and saw me.

"Jess..." He says. I squeezed my eyes shut and turned around.

"I really don't want to talk." I muttered. Grayson gave a small nod.

"I know, I know but-" he tried to say. I cut Grayson off.

"If you're going to do anything other than apologize I don't want to hear it." I say. Grayson shut his mouth. I slightly shook my head. "Forget it, I don't want your stupid apology anyway." I began to walk away but Grayson got up and grabbed my wrist. I quickly pulled my hand away. "Don't touch me." I say harshly. Grayson quickly backed off.

"I was a jerk yesterday-" He began to say. I cut Grayson off again.

"I think jerk is a understatement." I respond. Grayson nodded.

"Okay, yeah, I was being an asshole, I know I was but you have to believe me when I say I'm sorry." He says, almost pleading. I shook my head.

"We weren't happy Grayson." I could tell my statement caught Grayson off guard. "I wasn't happy, but I am now, I am so very happy." Grayson didn't say anything as a tear fell down my face. "Why can't you be happy for me?" My words were so close to a whisper that I wasn't even sure if Grayson would be able to hear them

When he didn't say anything I was confident that he didn't hear them but as I turned around the corner, far enough away that I could barely hear Grayson's confirmation that he had indeed heard my words.

I still love you.

...

As I was making my way back to my room when I ran into Avery, literally ran into her.

"What's the hurry?" I asked as the two of us situated ourselves after both running into on another.

"It's Eve." Toby's daughter. I stared at my sister in shock.