Chapter 2 - The 1 (Edited)

________________________________

"We never painted by the numbers, babyBut we were making it count

But we were making it count. You know the greatest loves of all time are over now. I guess you never know, never know. And it's another day waking up alone. But we were something, don't you think so? Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool. And if my wishes came true. It would've been you. In my defense, I have none. For never leaving well enough alone. But it would've been fun. If you would've been the one"
- Taylor Swift
________________________________

Grayson's P.O.V

I didn't tell anyone I was coming.

I knew nobody would think I would come. I was going to Harvard now, to much school work to come home.

The truth is, Harvard is just an excuse for me to stay away from everyone. Avery, Jameson, Xander, Nash. Everyone.

For some reason though I decided to leave the Harvard dorm and return to Hawthorne House. I knew I needed to see everyone, it was Avery's birthday, I could be a decent person and show up. It wasn't Avery and Jameson who I was almost fearful to see, no, it was Jess.

It had been months since we'd broken up. Months and I still can't stop thinking about her. Part of me wanted to hate her, that's how it should be, right? She broke up with me, I should be mad. I knew though, that I could never hate her, no matter how much it felt right, I could never picture her face and be filled with rage.

I wasn't quite sure how I would feel when I see her face again, wasn't quite sure how she was going to feel after seeing my face again. I knew one thing though, that she was not going to look at me with that same look of pure love. I hoped she didn't hate me, that's all I was hoping for.

I knew that she would be with her new boyfriend. From what I'd heard about him he was perfect. A charming, respectful, overall good guy. I was happy for Jess, I really was. She deserved to be happy, I needed to let go of the fact that it wasn't going to be with me.

As I pulled up to the massive gates of Hawthorne House that reality hit me even harder. I would walk into that house and see Jess in the arms of another guy and I would act as if it was nothing. I would tell her it's great to see her, I would smile and shake hands with Alex and pretend to have no problems with him whatsoever. Jess would probably see through my lie, I only hoped she wouldn't comment on it.

I parked my car and headed towards the massive doors. I opened one and entered the empty foyer. I knew Jameson had taken Avery out so they weren't there as I made my way up to my old room. I quickly texted Jameson to tell him I was here then set my bag down and fell onto the bed.

Jameson quickly texted back that they'd be home in a couple hours. It would be around 7:00 when they would return. Two hours. Two hours of absolutely nothing to do.