𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

SHE HEARD THE DOOR OPEN, HER SISTER GIVING HER ARM A REASSURING SQUEEZE AS THE FAMILIAR BOY WALKED INTO HIS HOME. "I'm home, Mom!" Samuel Miller yelled, hanging his headphones from his neck and mindlessly putting his bag on the floor beside the door. "Mom?" He asked, switching his phone off before walking to the living room. His mother and auntie sat on the couch before him. A suitcase probably belonging to his auntie sat beside them.

Nothing on the Tv, no other sound except breathing. The two stared at him as if expecting him, Samuel scoffing with laughter. "What's this?" The seventeen year old boy asked, some worry behind his sarcasm. "Did I do something wrong?" He looked between the two women, his auntie glancing to her sister. She froze on spot, as if all of her rehearsal didn't matter. "Your mom wants to kick you out." She put it plainly, Samuel's heart sinking. "What?" His voice was small, looking to his mother. She gave no sign of denying, Samuel gulping as the three stayed in silence.

"Did she tell you to kick me out?" Samuel asked, his mother shaking her head quickly as she suddenly came to her senses. "No-" "She's never liked me, so she's getting you to get rid of me." Samuel's tone sharpened, his auntie readjusting her seat forward. "Don't speak to your mother like that-" "Shut up!" He barked, his mom flinching. "I've done nothing wrong!" Samuel snapped, his auntie raged. "What about your little jobs?" She let out, Samuel watching his mother glance to the rug adorning the hardwood floor. "They don't hurt anyone-"

"They hurt me!" His mother spoke up, Samuel meeting eyes with his mother. "You do these dangerous jobs and then come home and put me in danger, always!" She spoke, Samuel's auntie sitting back in her seat silently. "They don't-" "Every night I fear for my life!" Samuel swallowed harshly once he was interrupted. "Mom, I keep you safe." Samuel spoke lowly, watching the woman grimace. "What? By killing people?" She shot back, Samuel sighing. "I haven't killed anyone." He lied, his auntie side eyeing his mother.

"Don't lie to me, Samuel." The air was thick, Samuel watching his mother stand up. "I want you gone by tomorrow morning. I've packed your things already." She walked upstairs, Samuel scoffing once he realised the suitcase was his. "Mom?" He called, moving to the foot of the stairs as he heard his mother's bedroom door close. "Mom!" He yelled, moving up the stairs. "She needs to be alone-" "You know what?" His auntie watched Samuel walk back down the stairs, finger pointed between her eyes.

"You're dead to me." He spat, his auntie's face falling lightly. "I hope you've enjoyed ruining my family." Samuel continued, his auntie sitting up straight. "You sabotaged our family. Not me." She shot out, Samuel clenching his jaw. "You just need a warm place to lay your head at night. And now you're whining because you don't have one-" "She's my mother." Samuel drew out as if his auntie was stupid, the woman shrugging lightly. "I love her-" "Do you? Big surprise." Samuel felt his eyes sting, his mother flinching once she heard a glass smash.

Her sister yelled in fear, the woman rushing out of her room. The yelling got louder, Samuel ignoring his mother as she rushed down the stairs. "You bitch!" He yelled, the broken glass pieces scattering behind his auntie. "You've ruined my fucking life!" He continued, his mother stunned at her son. His jobs were dangerous... He was dangerous. "You've ruined your own!" His auntie retaliated, Samuel seeing red as his mother yelled in fright, her son near closer to his auntie. "Stop!" She screamed, the two looking at her.

Samuel's eyes softened, seeing his mother look at him with fear. She was scared of him. "Get out." She told her son softly, Samuel straightening his stance as his auntie's form softened. "Mom, I'm sorry-" "Take your stuff and leave my home." Samuel felt a tear rush down his cheek as his mother's tone ran stern. "Mom-" "Don't call me that." The woman before him instructed, Samuel feeling his own head shake left to right. "Don't do that." He whispered, his mother gulping.

"You are not the son I raised." She continued, watching Samuel near closer. "Please, Mom. I didn't mean to." He held her shoulders, freezing once she ripped herself from his grip. "You are not my son." She spoke, Samuel's cheeks coating with tears. His throat ran dry. His own mother just disowned him.

Just like that.

As if he didn't matter.

"Mom-" "Stop." She ordered, tears rolling down her own cheeks as she stepped back. "Please. I love you." He begged, slowly stepping forward. "Your father would be disappointed in you." Samuel gulped, his lips squeezed shut. Everyone was silent, Samuel sniffling lightly before nodding silently. His heart ripped in half, the boy's mother giving no sense of apologising. She meant it. His father would be disappointed. Hate him, even.

Just like she did.

"Samuel-" His mother began, the boy before her running a hand through his hair before grabbing his bag once more. The air was dense, Samuel not uttering a word as he grabbed the suitcase, walking towards the front door. Glancing over his shoulder, his mother's eyes held no remorse as she stared at him, the boy leaving with a slam of the door.

"SAMMY! MY BOY!" FRENCHIE CHEERED AS THE FAMILIAR TEEN APPEARED AT HIS FRONT DOOR. Samuel gave no sign of even fake happiness, looking to the man's shoes. Frenchie's arms fell, his face retorting into one of confusion as he bent down to see Samuel's face. "What's wrong?" He asked, his tone lighter as Samuel inhaled shakily. "She kicked me out." Samuel croaked, his cheeks flushed red. "Your mother?" Frenchie asked, Samuel looking up to him as the man observed his eyes.

"Mhm." He let out with a quivered lip, Frenchie opening his door wider as the smell of weed hit Samuel's nostrils. "You can crash with me, yes?" Frenchie encouraged, Samuel nodding slowly as Cherie leaned back against the couch to catch eyes with the boy. Samuel awkwardly averted his eyes, feeling Frenchie pat his shoulder and shut the door. "The more the merrier, I say." Frenchie shook the boy, looking to his suitcase. "Just- uh, leave that there, yes?" He spoke, Samuel humming as he dropped his bag.

"Let me get you some water, okay?" He asked, Samuel nodding mindlessly as Frenchie rushed off to wherever the kitchen lay in his apartment. Samuel stood silently before the woman patted the spot next to her on the couch, inviting the teen. He moved slowly, the woman blowing her smoke away from his direction. She stared at him, watching him sit next to her and stare ahead. "How old are you?" She asked, Samuel looking to her. "Sixteen." He answered, watching the woman's eyebrows raise in slight surprise.

Frenchie has mentioned a Sammy yet she has never seen him. He was not what she was expecting. A teenage boy definitely wasn't expected. "I'm Cherie." She spoke, Samuel nodding to her quickly. In his defense, he couldn't care less. "Here." Samuel grabbed the water put ahead of him, taking a light sip before Frenchie sat opposite the two. "We ordered pizza if you want any." The man spoke, Samuel glancing at the discarded food between the three. "I'm not hungry." Cherie made eye contact with Frenchie, the man squinting in desperation.

How could he make Samuel feel any better?-

"You smoke?" Cherie asked, Samuel glancing at the woman. Frenchie was about to object- "Sure." Samuel shrugged, Cherie wasting no time in giving the boy her blunt, easily moving to wrap another one. Looking to the boy, Frenchie watched him smoke like he'd never smoked before. Which he hadn't. Clearing his throat, Frenchie leant back in his seat with a huff.

"The pizza's all yours."