18 | Parallels

(On Adora's ship)

After Adora went off to deal with the fuel issue and Glimmer went to find food, Y/N began to explore the ship. She didn't know where she was walking most of the time since she was lost in thought.

She wanted to save Catra so badly. Not only that but she... missed her. She missed her sarcasm, her annoying but sweet personality and everything else. Y/N didn't know how much longer she could last without seeing or hearing Catra'a voice.

But it's not like they could just fly over to Horde Prime's ship and demand he give Catra back. They would have to fight him for her. Then something flashed in Y/N's mind. A memory.

(One year earlier - Y/N's pov)

Two days have passed since General Coral had given me the sign-up sheet for imperial guards. That meant that today was finally the day. Surely my parents will be there so I need a disguise. So I decided to go into town. I remember passing a wig shop down there a while back.

I made sure to put my cloak on so no one would notice me. Because in tomorrows paper, the headline would definitely be about me sneaking around town and then my mother would know I was here. She'd kill me... by giving me stupid lectures.

I made my way into town an hour before tryouts. I have plenty of time to get ready. On the street with a very popular bakery, I found the wig shop. I walked inside and immediately bumped into someone. I steadied to find a boy staring at me. I stared back at him. He gasped.

"Your majesty, I-I'm so sorry! Please for- woah!" I spun behind him and pushed him inside. There, I softly shoved him against a wall. I could see his cheeks grow red. "Pretend you never saw me and I'll give you an autograph," I mumbled annoyingly. He took a moment to pull himself back together and looked me in the eyes. When he processed what I had told him, he chuckled. A smirk appeared on his face. Now I was the one with red cheeks.

"How about instead I take you out for dinner. Tonight? As an apology of course," he asked. I widened my eyes. Did he really have the nerve to ask me out to dinner? I don't even know his name! And for all I know, he could be an old man in disguise. Speaking of disguises...

"I'm sorry, I have no time to talk. I'm kind of in a hurry," I say. I start to turn around but he pulls me back in his arms. "What the-?!" He covers my mouth before I could finish. "Don't need to get so loud," he says. I try to push him away but his grip is too strong.

I try to scream but there is no one else in the shop and the person behind the counter just went into the back. Great timing. What should I do? I start to freak out. Wait a minute... Can't I just take him out? I mean, I'm here to get a disguise so I can go to the imperial guard tryouts. What the hell am I doing?!

I quickly elbow him in the stomach and he lets go. I turn to face him. I could practically kill him with my looks. He smiled at me. "You're pretty strong princess. Where'd you learn that from?" he says. I chuckle. "Pretty strong? No I'm the definition of strong. Back the fuck up before I run outside and scream my lungs off. I mean it," I tell him. He's lucky I'm willing to spare his ass.

He holds his hands up in surrender but continues to smile. "Very well then. You win," he says. I swallow. I didn't expect him to give up that easily. But before I could do anything else, he picks up his bags and walks out of the shop. Once the door closes, he begins to yell things that I can't make out. He also points to me. Then before I knew, the whole shop was surrounded with guards.

(Later on)

"How could you possibly think that this was acceptable?!" My mother yells at me. I stay silent. General Coral is beside her. She clearly informed me earlier on that if my mom found out what I've been doing, there was no way she could help me.

"I'm sorry mother," I say. "Sorry won't cover anything!" she yelled at me. "Your majesty, if I may..." Coral began. What is she doing? I widen my eyes. Is she...?

"General Coral? Do you have something to say?" My mother asked. "This is my fault," Coral replied. I shook my head towards her, hoping she'd say no more. But she didn't notice. "For the past few months, your daughter has been training to be an imperial guard and I was assisting her."

I've never seen my mother so angry in my life. "Is this true?" My mother asked as she turned to face me. I can't lie to her. She'll notice right away. So I nod. She widens her eyes as if she didn't expect me to agree. Then she frowns.

"You shamed your entire family. Princesses don't... fight! They deal with the war from behind their castle walls. You of all people should know that. I've been teaching you how to be a great queen every since you were young,"  she says. Then I burst with rage.

"Teaching me? All you've ever taught me is that princesses are meant to be weak! You've never taught me anything useful and you know that! You haven't taught me shit!" I yell. "We do not curse in this castle!" my mother yelled at me. I scoff. "As if you don't do the same!" I yell back. The whole room is silent. Even Coral is silent.

After my mother brings herself together, she turns to Coral. "I am very disappointed with you General. As of today, you are not longer an imperial guard. See yourself to your chambers and pack up. I don't want to see your face again." I widen my eyes. Coral sighs.

"Yes, your majesty. It has been an honour," she says. Then she turns on her heel and leaves the room. I swear it looked like she might cry. I just ruined her life.

"No, you can't do that!" I say. My mother approaches me and I go quiet. "I am the Queen which means I can do whatever I want! But I'm also your mother which means I can do whatever I need to protect you."

"But I don't need protecting!" I say. My mother sighs. "I've had enough of this conversation. Go to your room, you're grounded for the next week," she says. I open my mouth to object but she has already turned around and began to leave the room.

I stand there silent in the room. I let out a painfully loud scream.

Word count -> 1176

This chapter was also short but we're getting close to the scene where Y/N's planet was attacked by Horde Prime so yay!! And this chapter was also supposed to show you how Y/N's and Glimmer's family life are kinda the same! ALSO (sorry lol) to be clear, Y/N blushed when the guy pulled her close bc she was embarrassed and not bc she liked him!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Have a good day/night!

Love, clouds <3