Don't Poke the Scorpion

Start from the beginning

"It's a deal." Phil nods and turns towards Y/N with apologetic eyes as she stared at him, stunned, before carefully approaching and setting a hand near her back to escort her out. He wasn't sure if it would be alright to touch her now.

"Let's go now." She nods, looking back at Beelzebub, who watched with a highly intense gaze. Raising her chin up, she wished to say something but decided it was best to leave it alone. Perhaps she'd have another chance to win his approval in the future. She understood by now how most demons viewed her. All she could do is wait to get stronger and prove herself when she can. She refused to be viewed as Phil's weakness. She wants to be his strength.

Taking Phil's arm, she winds it around her shoulders and walks close to him, causing the demon to relax in relief. The room was silent up until they left when the doors were shut, their party resumed. The music played, and Beelz took his seat, as did everyone else. Chatter spread about the human girl, everyone curious as to how she did it, how she had become so precious to the king. After all, it was widely known that he despised those creatures. Everyone had their own opinions on the matter, some intrigued, some indifferent, some disgusted or resentful. As for Beelzebub, he hoped that Mephistopheles knew what he was doing. Could that mouse of a human really last as a Queen of Hell? Only time would tell.

"Y/N, I am so sorry you had to witness that. Are you alright? I saw that you had that look in your eye." Phil fussed as soon as they were alone in the halls, his brows pinched with worry.

"It was only a small vision. It went away quickly, I promise. What about you? Are you alright? You seemed very heated in there." Y/N attempted to counter her fear with her concern for him, bringing up her trembling hands to his face as he bowed his head to meet her partway. Her tremors broke his heart but bringing attention to them would only make her think of the hallucinations more.

"I knew he'd say something to rial me but I wasn't expecting that. He has a habit of teasing me. I don't like when they undermine you."

"They can only judge me by what they see. In the end, they don't know me. Trust me, I don't like to hear it either. I know it will take a lot of work to earn the respect of some people. Maybe, after some time, it will be more accepted? Are you sure you want to keep him on?"

"The deal has already been made. Breaking it will have another cost. It will be alright. He won't do it again. At least, I believe he won't. He talks a big game, and while he's fully capable of having the upper hand, Beelzebub looks at me as family. It's hard to earn his respect, but I have it to some degree. Besides, regardless of his brutish mannerisms, he'll put on a good show, and I want you to have a memorable celebration." Leaning down further, he kisses the top of her head before pulling her hands away from his face, squeezing them in comfort.

"If you're still alright with it, then I am too."

"I still feel horrible for yelling in front of you. I know you don't like when I raise my voice."

"You just speak so coldly. Even when it's not directed at me, I can still feel the power behind your words."

"I will never speak that way to you. I had done it once, and it still haunts me." He recalls when he had found her in his brother's room, when he had nearly struck her in his frustration. He knew it happened because, for a moment, his mind interpreted her as a lamb due to the chain around her neck at the time, but that wasn't an excuse to frighten her like that. Y/N saw his guilt and laid her head upon his chest before wrapping her arms around him to show her forgiveness.

"I know you wouldn't," pulling back, she smiles at him, tugging on his coat. "Come on. I still need to take your suit measurements."