The Things We're Afraid to Hear

Start from the beginning

"I actually wanted to ask you what you might think about all this. If you do have the ability Koda suspects, do you want to run tests to find out more? It might help you, but it might also be strenuous work."

     "That's true. I'm still wrapping my head around it, honestly. I suppose anything is possible. Can I ask why you were so against it at first? Why you got so angry with them?" Her hands reached for the fork, shaking just a bit. Seeing this, his heart sunk a bit.

     "Koda has a history of... Somewhat disturbing methods of research. Not always, but enough to give me cause to worry. Same with Luther. The idea just freaked me out a little. After all, I'm very protective of you, more now than ever. He assured me, though, that they wouldn't do anything to harm you. As paranoid as I am, I know he was truthful. They seem to like you very much, Y/N. So, if you decide to allow them to run their tests, it's okay, but it's your choice." Y/N gave a soft hum in thought, silently taking a few bites out of her meal before answering.

     "It might help, but as of right now, I don't think I could take that on. I've been exhausted, and with the planning we have to do for the ceremony, it might be better to wait a bit. When things calm down, maybe I can give it a shot?" The demon gives an understanding nod.

     "Just let me know if you are ever ready." The rest of breakfast was peaceful after that. Not much else was said until all was finished and Y/N stood up.

     "I think I'd like to sew today."

     "I'll come with you." She smiled and nodded, a little excited to have him in the room while she worked again. It would be like old times, when he sat with her in the shop or at home while she worked on orders. Seeing no reason to change out of her comfy pajamas, she lead him straight to her room down the hall. Ramsey would come back to collect their dishes later, while they kept busy, as he always did. "Anything in particular you'll make today?"

     "I don't know yet. Maybe another toy? I'm sure Koda might like one. Then again, I've been also wondering if I should design a dress for when we..." A happy smile appeared on her face as she trailed off, which made his chest lighten once he saw it. Looking up at him, she asked, "Or, is there something particular I have to wear?" The demon shook his head.

     "Just formalwear. I think it's a great idea if you're up for it."

     "Perhaps, I could make you something too?" Her voice sounded giddier this time. All she's ever made for him was that doll. She wondered if he'd like a nice suit, something special. His smile grew, entertained by how something so small could excite her like that.

     "Now, how could I possibly pass up that offer?" She grinned brightly and slid her hand into the fold of his arm before leaning up against his shoulder, filling his chest with warmth yet again. He had missed her holding him so confidently.

     "It's settled, then." Once at the door, she unlocked it with her personal key before ushering him inside and taking him to the sewing room, where he made himself comfortable on the desk as she was about to sit in her chair. "Are you sure you don't want a chair?"

     "I'll be fine," he assures, making himself comfortable to watch as she pulled out a notebook to sketch her ideas on.

     "So, what should I be thinking of, simple and elegant, or maybe something more extravagant? Should it be a white dress?" She mutters to herself, tapping her bottom lip with a pencil as she stared at the paper, as if expecting the blank sheet to give her answers.