Chapter 02

Adelaide angrily removed her soaked oversized cardigan to spread it on the back of the restaurant chair as she took a napkin to dab around her face. Gabriel observed her, cautious of the eyes around them. She pointed toward the restroom.

"That person that was here," she said, pulling out another napkin to dry her neck. "The one who I said looked like me. You didn't see her come out of there, right?"

"I've already told you. No one came out." He pushed the napkin holder closer as she went for more. "Wait, I'm still confused about what's going—"

Adelaide held her hand up, making Gabriel go quiet. "Hold that thought, I'll be back."

She made a beeline for the women's restroom, pushing past a group of ladies who were shocked due to her disheveled appearance.

The restroom was completely empty. No loiterers. Not a soul at the sink. For a moment, she thought her look-alike must have given her the slip in the group of ladies, but, thinking back, none of them looked remotely like her.

One by one, she began checking the stalls. The first three were empty, though she persisted until she reached the seventh.

CLANK.

The chain rattled against the door when she pushed it.

Someone was in there. But they were keeping quiet.

Adelaide stooped down, lowering her head to check the person's footwear. They were wearing the very type of heels she currently wore. Even the scuff marks were identical.

She stood up and began drumming the stall door with her fist. "Get out here! Why're you pretending to be me? Is it fun crashing my birthday dinner?"

"What do you mean," said a voice eerily similar to hers, "your birthday dinner?"

Adelaide froze.

"Tonight is my  birthday!" said the voice behind the stall. "I was enjoying a nice evening out with my boyfriend, and you had to come and ruin it!"

"Look, I don't care what your reasons are," said Adelaide. "Just please stop whatever it is you're trying to do. This is not funny."

She waited for a response, but none came. So, she put her right shoulder against the door and pushed until the chain broke and the door swung open.

But there was nothing. Whoever—or whatever—she'd been conversing with was no longer inside the stall.

It was empty.

At first, Adelaide tried to reason with herself. Maybe the person had squeezed through the gap between the stall barriers. That theory was quickly dismissed, however: the space between the stall dividers and the floor was too narrow for even the smallest of adults to slip under.

Trembling, she headed back to the dining area, to Gabriel.

"Is everything okay?" Gabriel said, tucking something cube-shaped into his pocket and bringing his hands onto the table. "If something's wrong, you can tell me."

"No, let's just forget it. I just want to enjoy my night with you." She lifted up and inspected the half-drank wine glass. "Maybe make another toast, with a different glass."

Visibly disturbed though trying to hide it, Gabriel signaled another waiter.

Later, as soft music was being played by a live band, they made a toast and took turns feeding each other.

"So, what was this about another girl earlier?" Gabriel said hesitantly. "You took off before fully explaining anything."

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I'd just sound crazy."

AnOther Alice: A Novel (Undergoing Editing)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें