20. Love Is a Choice

Song: Love Is a Choice by Kris Bowers

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

The day of my departure has officially come.

I sit by the window and watch how my suitcases are being carried onto the carriage that will bring me to the harbor in only a few minutes.

The sun is out and I can already imagine how magnificent it will be when I watch it set on the sea's horizon and how the wind will dance through my hair as the day slowly turns dark.

"Your tea grows cold." Lady Danbury says as she enters my now-empty bedroom. "Is something wrong, dear?"

I watch the many people walking on the streets of London, going on about their afternoon and I come to realize how odd life can actually be. To some it may be just another day, but to me it is a day of something that will change my life entirely.

"I cannot believe it has only been three months since I arrived here." I mutter with a sad smile.

"Time flies, does it not?" Lady Danbury responds before having a seat on my bed. "Now what is this?"

I frown as I notice her picking up the envelope Benedict handed to me yesterday. "Nothing, Lady Danbury. Mr. Bridgerton gave it to me before we left Aubrey Hall."

"It is unopened. Perhaps you should read it."

"I do not think that is necessary anymore. I am leaving after all."

She only nods before putting down the letter on the windowsill right next to me. "One letter can't hurt."

And with that, the dowager leaves me alone, with the doors closed.

Staring down at the only physical thing I have to remember Benedict by, I hesitate to pick it up.

It has been a whirlwind of a season and never in a million years would I have imagined to become so consumed by someone to the point that it has left me in a state of stirring emotions.

Finally, I take up the courage to open up the envelope, only to reveal a long written letter:

My Dear Nancy,

You probably won't even read this letter because of how I left things between us, but if you somehow do, let me start by explaining why I said the things I said.

When Lady Danbury told me about the date of your departure, my heart shattered into pieces. I knew you were leaving, but I did not know how soon. Then she told me you were considering on staying and I instantly knew in my heart that it was not right.

I thought that if I acted coldly towards you, it would have given you a clearer mind and determine your choice to leave and follow your dreams, but I realize now that it was not the best method to do so. I was a fool and I apologize if I have hurt you deeply.