13. The Promise

Song: Death Bed by Vitamin String Quartet

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

Ever since that night something happened between Nancy and I at her house, we have been repeatedly doing it whenever given the chance. Most of the time on Saturdays and Sundays when she works on the house, but there have been occasions when we were secretly pleasuring each other at balls and other events.

"Faster!" I shout impatiently as Nancy slowly moves her lower body on top of mine. Just as I instructed, the pace increases in speed. As Nancy presses her hands against my chest, she leans back her head with closed eyes and moans most satisfied. "Benedict!" She exclaims, turning me on in ways I can not seem to describe.

"I– I am almost–" I pant nearly out of breath as we move rapidly at the same rhythm.

"Not yet!" Nancy groans.

I close my eyes as I feel that I am almost finished. "Ah! Benedict!" Nancy yells nearly there as the bed squeaks and bangs against the wall to the rhythm of our movements.

"Nancy!"

At the same time, Nancy and I both stop, letting out deep sighs of satisfaction.

I pull her into an embrace, causing her body to land on top of mine. "That... was amazing." I mutter.

"I will gladly take all the credit." She jokes out of breath. I chuckle and pin her down against the bed. "Little cocky aren't we?" I respond.

God, I love the sound of her laughter.

I smile at the sight of her and press my lips against hers. She wraps her hands around my neck, holding me at the back of my head, to pull me deeper into the kiss.

Even though it has become a sort of routine, I can never get enough of finally being able to touch Nancy Griffiths, to smell the intoxicating scent of roses she always bathes in.

I pull back and watch the risen corners of her lips. "What?" Nancy asks.

I chuckle slightly before tugging a strand of hair behind her ear. "You are the most amazing person there is." I quietly respond, stroking her cheek gently.

"Was I that good today?" Nancy jokes.

This woman will be the death of me.

"Incredible, but that is not the reason why I was telling you are amazing."

"Enlighten me then, Mr. Bridgerton."

I do not know what it is, but whenever she calls me Mr. Bridgerton, I can not help but grin at the silliness of it. Back when I went to propose our little plan to her, I thought it was ridiculous when she called me by my first name, but now it seems I have a preference for it.

"Besides the fact that you are funny, kind and smart, I think what is most admirable about you is that you do not let the opinions of others about you get in the way of achieving your dreams. If only I could do what you did."

"You still can, Benedict. You just have to find the guts to do so." Nancy responds as she sits up.

It is easier said than done. Honestly, whenever I see Nancy working on her music, it reminds me of the incredible impact she's had in the world of music. It is the most inspiring thing to me.

"What if I fail? It is the most discomforting thought that haunts me." I say discouraging.

Nancy rolls her eyes at me and sighs. "If following your dreams was as easy to achieve as sitting down, then everyone would be out there right now doing the same thing I did. Discomfort is a part of the journey, Benedict. If you never tried, then it is the same as failing. Let's make a pact, shall we?"

"What pact?"

"Let's promise each other, once this season is over and we both go our own separate ways, we work our hardest to achieve our dreams. Me a successful composer and you a famously talented artist."

Slightly taken back by the mention of 'going our own separate ways', I frown. "You are talking as if we will never see each other again after you leave." I say slightly disappointed.

"Of course we will see each other again! I acquire a Benedict Bridgerton original in my home after all." She laughs.

If Nancy believes I can become an artist, perhaps I can give it a shot. It is worth to try again after what happened at the academy last year.

"Just promise me, we will always write to one another." I say.

Nancy nods and plants a kiss on my lips. "I promise."

After an entire morning spent at Nancy's, I quietly return to the living area of my home in Aubrey Hall where my entire family has their leisure time. "Benedict, dear. Where have you been?" Mother asks as she notices me.

"I was just out for a morning ride. It is nice weather we are having after all, better savor it while it lasts."

"Brother, is it true that you are courting Miss Griffiths?" Hyacinth asks excitingly.

I almost forgot. Hyacinth is a true fan of Nancy's work and has always admired her compositions.

"Why, may I ask?"

"Wouldn't it be nice if you invited her over for dinner?" My youngest sister suggests.

"What a lovely idea, Hyacinth. After all, she has yet to announce an engagement with the Marquess. Might as well move swiftly while she is still available for courtship." Mother responds, again hinting towards her will for me to marry.

I have nearly forgotten that the Marquess is courting Nancy as well. I have yet to introduce myself to him. All I know is that he is young, kind and according to many, the man of everyone's dreams, whatever that requires.

"I shall make some arrangements with Lady Danbury to invite her and Miss Griffiths to spend a few days with us here before the upcoming Hearts and Flowers ball." Kate says before getting up from her seat.

Having Nancy over for an entire week at Aubrey Hall is simultaneously the worst and best idea to exist.

Hello! It's been a while.
Thank you for being so patient.
I have been struggling with choosing a path for this story, but now I know what I want to do with it, so I hope I will be able to publish more frequently, especially with Winter Break around the corner. This is a short chapter, but I promise the following ones will be much longer as we get to see Benedict and Nancy at Aubrey hall with the rest of the Bridgertons + the ball.
Anyways, hope you have a lovely day!
- Khai