8. Her Golden Hour

Song: Golden Hour by JVKE (Eliab Sandoval version) - I always imagine Nancy playing this song :)

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

It is finally the night of Nancy's first performance in Mayfair and my whole family and I are in our seats, eagerly awaiting for it to begin.

I must admit, I am excited to see Nancy. With her working on the house Saturday and Sunday, there was no one interesting really to have a conversation with.

"This place is extraordinary." Mother mutters as she looks around the circling conservatory her Majesty has provided for today's event with in the middle of the room a big pianoforte.

"What is taking so long?" I hear Lord Cowper ask quite irritated from behind.

The Cowper's seem to be very present this season. I haven't been able to avoid their snobby voices and remarks ever since the first ball.

"Perhaps Miss Griffiths got cold feet. I wouldn't expect otherwise. Many young ladies here are, after all, far better than she is. Especially our dear Cressida." His unbearable wife responds, causing only herself to laugh.

"Anything else you wish to say regarding my diamond, Lady Cowper?" I hear your majesty ask.

A huge grin finds its way to my lips as I turn to see that the queen and Lady Danbury are standing by the row where the Cowper's are seated.

Everyone suddenly stands up to curtsy.

"Oh Your Majesty.. I- I was merely sharing my concern for Miss Griffiths. You see, I am afraid she might embarrass herself with her so-called talents. The poor girl is from Bloomsbury after all. My Cressida, on the other hand, is surely accomplished on the pianoforte. She has been practicing for four years.– Perhaps she can show off her ta–"

"You dare question my judgment?" Queen Charlotte scowls, causing all to be shocked.

To be publicly opposed of the queen, you would either have to be God Himself or a fool and the Cowper's are, most assuredly, not Gods.

"N- no, your majesty. All I meant—"

Without letting Lady Cowper finish, the queen walks off to her seat while Lady Danbury stays.
"I'll have you know that Miss Griffiths is an accomplished composer trained by only the very best at a very young age. She has performed in many countries and has already established herself in the world on her own. Lady Cowper, I would not even dare to compare her to your daughter."

And with that, Lady Danbury also leaves, giving us a quick acknowledging nod before finding her seat.

"Well, that was quite something." Mother whispers.

"So far, it is the best thing to happen this season." Eloise grins, most satisfied with the Cowper's humiliation.

I smile for a moment before, suddenly, an old man walks up to the middle of the room.