1. A Chance Encounter

Song: Love Story by Vitamin String Quartet

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

Is it still possible to escape on the next ship to anywhere but here?

"Miss Griffiths!" Lady Danbury calls.

Never mind that thought.

With a false smile, I turn to the dowager countess.

"Lady Danbury!" I greet as she takes my hand in hers.

"After all these years! You look well, dear!"

Lady Danbury, although well respected by the Ton and part of the society I ever so despise, is the only reason for me to come back to London once in a while. Someone with a mindset and attitude like her is very rare and I was truly blessed to be in her presence during the most difficult time in my life.

"Now, I shall hear about your travels tomorrow. For now, her majesty wants to make your acquaintance once more.– Come along!"

Ah yes, queen Charlotte. I recall her not being to keen of Lady Danbury's decision to raise me, but given that the two of them have a long history together, her majesty found it in her heart to, well, tolerate me.

"So soon, Lady Danbury?" I ask as I follow her to the queen, but she doesn't bother answering me.

"Your majesty! Allow me to present to you, Miss Griffiths whom you remember." Lady Danbury says as she presents me with great gesture.

My eyes widen in shock before I take a few steps forward. "Y- Your Majesty." I stammer with curtsy.

"Miss Griffiths! A true delight to have you back in London." Queen Charlotte responds ever so gracefully.

Oh, is it now? As far as I remember, you were responsible for the Insignificant Bloomsbury Child nickname.

"It is good to be back indeed." I quietly respond.

No, it is absolutely not.

"Though, I am curious why it took so long for your return."

Sometimes I wonder if she pretends to not remember how I've been treated in the past or actually lives oblivious.

"I suppose I enjoyed my time being away from all of this so much, I lost track of time." I say with a pretentious smile while the delighted look on the queen slowly fades into a confused glare.

From the corner of my eye I can see three gentlemen observing the whole thing. While two of them seem shocked by my response, the other one seems to be quite entertained.

"Eh- what Miss Griffiths truly means to say, your majesty, is that she was utterly overjoyed with learning as much of the world. After all, it is not every day a woman gets the opportunity to travel. Isn't that correct, dear?"