9. The Final String

Song: What About Us by Duomo

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

"Do you wanna escape for a while?" Benedict mutters as we look around the ballroom.

Everyone is busy dancing, talking, all minding their own business, but part of me can not seem to shake the thought that the queen threw this party in my honor.

"What if somebody finds us?"

"They won't, I promise." Benedict chuckles before finishing his champagne. "Meet me at the back of the conservatory. There is a secret passage towards a courtyard where no one even thinks of coming."

I have grown utterly weary of all the balls and the constant pressure of finding a husband. So much so, I think I deserve a break from it.

Perhaps no one will notice my absence.

I give Benedict a subtle nod to which he reacts by walking away unnoticed. Even his entire family seems too occupied with finding a match for Miss Eloise.

Call me insane, but I reckon she would rather stay unmarried like me.

"Beautiful dress." I suddenly hear a sweet and childlike voice say from behind.

Expecting a little girl, I find myself surprised to see a grown woman who I identify as Penelope Featherington in front of me. She wears a pink dress and an innocent smile on her face.

It is the first time I get to see the girl Colin Bridgerton is so smitten with up close.

"Thank you, miss," I pause as to pretend I do not know her name already.

"Penelope... Featherington." She responds.

From the corner of my eye, I can already see Colin Bridgerton attempting to approach the two of us without scaring off Penelope.

I might as well do something useful with this situation.

"Mr. Bridgerton!" I greet to give Colin a reason to join us. Uneasiness finds its way to Penelope's face. She almost looks nervous to be around him.

"Miss Griffiths.— Pen..." Colin greets politely, though the way he mentioned Penelope's name was filled with much more endearment.

"Colin." Penelope quietly mutters.

The two keep sharing quick glances as if I am not standing within their presence.

Goodness, must I do everything myself?

"Mr. Bridgerton, don't you think Miss Penelope looks rather lovely tonight?"

For a moment, it stays quiet as Colin glues his gaze onto the young Featherington girl. Tensity in his eyes fades into a look of tenderness the longer he observes her.