14. The Big Question

Song: Iris by Brooklyn Duo

(There will be 2 POVs in this chapter... enjoy!)

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

"Lady Danbury, Miss Griffiths." Viscount Bridgerton greets as we get off the carriage, with Kate standing next to him.

I stand before Aubrey Hall for the very first time, facing the entire Bridgerton family. I even spot Simon and his own little family at the very back.

It has been years since I last saw him.

"Viscount Bridgerton, Lady Bridgerton." I politely greet with curtsy.

"Miss Griffiths, it is so good to see you again." Kate takes my arm and immediately pulls me away from the crowd. "And please, call me Kate." She says, lowering her voice with a smile.

"Very well. Kate it is." I laugh most pleased at the viscountess' friendliness.

"Well, if it isn't Nancy Griffiths!" I hear an all too familiar voice call. A huge smile finds its way to my face as I see the Duke heading my way.

"Hastings!" I say before leading Kate to the infamous Duke of Hastings. "It is so good to see you again."

"Same to you. I was surprised to hear you returned from New York. I always thought you were planning on never returning." He jokes.

Besides Theo, Lady Danbury and Benedict, Simon is one of the few who knows I never wanted to come back to London. Especially not to get married.

"Lady Danbury thought it would be nice for me to join this season." I say with a lower voice, hinting at the fact that I did not come here by choice, but for Lady Danbury's sake.

Simon only nods understanding before we are joined by his wife and son. "Your Grace!" I say with a small bow.

"Nancy, I would like you to meet my wife Daphne and my son Augie." Simon introduces.

Simon did not lie in his letters. The Duchess is indeed a very beautiful woman and without even uttering a word, elegance truly shines through.

"Miss Griffiths, it is so nice to finally meet you. Simon has told me a lot about you." She says with a smile.

"All good things I hope." I joke to ease the nervousness I feel having to spend an entire week at the Bridgertons.

"Very much so. I can not wait to get to know the woman who has caught the eye of yet another brother of mine."

Yet another... I suppose she is referring to the viscount who married Kate last season.

"It seems to have become a yearly tradition, has it not dearest?" Lady Violet laughs locking her arm with her eldest daughter's.